So cold last night - water froze !

redbikejohn
redbikejohn Posts: 160
edited January 2017 in Commuting general
For a number of reasons I stopped commuting and ridding for three months but yesterday I finally got stuck in again and cycled the 24 miles into work for a late shift. Bit chilly at 10pm when I left ...... by the time I got out of London near Harefield my camelbac drinks tube was full of slush and by gerards cross it was solid ice so no water. First time that has happened to me on the road bike, despite cycling in colder temps (according to my phone weather app anyway). Time to dig out the neoprene cover for the tube. Need a day off anyway as left knee is too painfully for some reason. Tights pushing on already iffy kneecap I think.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    #32 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

I've had the drink in my bottle become cold and have some in ice in it but my bike and bottle are left outside but under cover when in work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ha ha - well I shatter the majority of those rules :)
  • Went out last night and it was around 9 or 10 deg. Was sweating buckets !

And as for a camelback on a road bike ! You should know better.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • I also use mtb helmet with peak and mtb shoes with spd peddles. Rack and panniers and mudguards plus a front bar bag and a under saddle bag - beat that for non conformity :)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    And as for a camelback on a road bike ! You should know better.

Its only poncy road "cyclists" that conform to an image that must be adheared to.

this guy is a commuter ... we are hard core, the bad ass ..... I also wear an MTB helmet and mtb shoes .... have panneirs on one bike, I have MTB mudguards on my CX bike .... I have a camel back .... sometimes my socks are even different from each other .... if I need to repair a puncture at the side of the road the bike goes upside down. Glasses inside or outside helmet straps ?? ... where ever they end up fater removing them wiping the grime off the lenses and wedging them back on. Cross chain ??? ... hell yeah if sprinting to make the lights in time I will run it down to till it crosses. :mrgreen:
  • Oh my god,, I`ve found myself in the philistines pit.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try blowing the water back out of the tube and into the bag before closing the valve. No water, no ice. You just have to suck a bit more when you want a drink.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Oh my god,, I`ve found myself in the philistines pit.

lol :lol: and I use headphones with assorted metal tunes from the 70's to now.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Try blowing the water back out of the tube and into the bag before closing the valve. No water, no ice. You just have to suck a bit more when you want a drink.

Yes I normally do but I forgot this time as it's been so long since I last rode. My bite valve leaks a bit and all the dribbles formed thick ice on the top tube .....
    Will try and remember tonight. Took yesterday off to recover.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a military spec camelback with insulated pouch for the bladder and a sleeve for the tube, I don't have an icing problem! I also use warm (tepid) water when it's this cold as I find it more pleasant.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If I thought last week was cold it had nothing on this morning at 3.30am !
    Covered in ice from the freezing fog on the way in to work. Beard, buff and helmet strap also matted together in a big clump of ice. Altura Night Vision jacket kept me warm for most of the ride though (with three layers underneath).