Recommend a smart turbo for training with power

mason5697
mason5697 Posts: 63
Hoping to train by power, but not got the spare cash for a power meter for another 12 - 18 months. Just picked up an elite qubo digital wireless 2nd hand, but doesn't give instantaneous power readings. Just what you have set the power to. Won't connect to Garmin 520 either.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• You'll get a better response if you outline a few of your criteria e.g.

budget
    wheel on or direct drive
    is noise a major factor
    size of unit / ease of storage
    do you want it to work when not connected to mains
    are you a high power rider e.g. able to put out more than 1000w
    bluetooth or ant+
    are you planning to use training apps, if so which ones
  • You'll get a better response if you outline a few of your criteria e.g.

budget
    wheel on or direct drive
    is noise a major factor
    size of unit / ease of storage
    do you want it to work when not connected to mains
    are you a high power rider e.g. able to put out more than 1000w
    bluetooth or ant+
    are you planning to use training apps, if so which ones

Budget is a biggie. Probably up to £300. Dont mind buying second hand thoigh. Noise isn't a major factor, nor is wheel / direct drive.

Size and ease of storage doesn't matter much either.

Not planning on using zwift or any other virtual reality cycling. Just looking for consistent power read outs, so I can do ftp tests and train by wattage.

Not bothered about it working when not connected as I have a mechanical trainer already.

Would be hoping for it to connect to my garmin 520 if possible, so I could monitor power output.
  • Tacx Flow from Halfords is around £180, has built in power and cadence plus its also a smart trainer, & works well with a Garmin 520.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    Tacx Flow from Halfords is around £180, has built in power and cadence plus its also a smart trainer, & works well with a Garmin 520.

Thanks. Do you use the Flow yourself? If so does it display power on the garmin? Picked up an elite qubo wireless digital, but it doesn't pair with the garmin, head unit doesn't seem to show real-time power either. Can only set real time power. So cute do an ftp test.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I got a smart trainer (Kickr Snap) from CRC when the Black Friday deal was on.

Combined with a British Cycling Membership discount, I got it for £360, billy bargain.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • mason5697 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Tacx Flow from Halfords is around £180, has built in power and cadence plus its also a smart trainer, & works well with a Garmin 520.

Thanks. Do you use the Flow yourself? If so does it display power on the garmin? Picked up an elite qubo wireless digital, but it doesn't pair with the garmin, head unit doesn't seem to show real-time power either. Can only set real time power. So cute do an ftp test.

Yes it connects to the 520 and you can display power, speed, cadence and heart rate if you wear a hr monitor. It is Bluetooth or Ant+ enabled. I use my'n for Zwift & been impressed with it so far for the money.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    You can pick up a 4iii power meter for £370 if you use hollowtech cranks, nearly spring now...
  • This is my Tacx Vortex that I'm selling. Worked fine with my 520 and always seemed to give a reliable power output. Has all the kit you need should you ever choose down the Zwift/Trainerroad route.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13074964