Continental 4 Season vs Schwalbe One

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Does anyone have any opinion on the Continental 4 season tyre vs the Schwalbe One?
I've currently got 4 seasons on my bike and they're fine, but the Schwalbe's get very good reviews, seem to do the same thing as the Conti's, and are a tenner per pair cheaper.

I'm more concerned about grip and puncture protection than speed, and also to add - I'm looking to buy the 28mm and run as clinchers.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Schwalbe One is a lightweight slick racing tyre - the GP4S is a distance/training/winter/etc tyre. They're quite different. Grip won't be an issue and puncture protection depends on how many you currently get and how many compromises you are willing to accept if you replace the GPs.
  • I'd add that Michelin Pro 4 Endurance V2 have been good to me so far. True 28mm, reasonably supple, good value too @ £23 each. Looked at the Contis - couldn't justify the uplift - happy so far after a few hundred soggy / flinty / thorny rides.

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • Thanks both!
    I think you're right I've misinterpreted the Schwalbe One's spec.
    The Michelin look good and much cheaper!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Schwalbe ones are very light and roll well but puncture wise I've had to junk 2 after what would have been fairly simple punctures on a 4000s. ones also don't grip as well as some other brands especially in the wet.. I'd steer clear of them.

Gp 4 seasons are pretty quick but don't roll quite as well as 4000s or vittorias that I use. they are pretty bombproof.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Really? I am very happy with mine. Seem better than the 4000s to me.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    every year since 2013 i have run shwalbe ultrimo ZX (and then the ONE after they were discontinued) and never had more than the odd puncture through winter. Bought a winter bike this year so thought i'd try some gatorskins and literally had a puncture every 80 miles (more than one a week) since november. Went back to schwalbe ones 200 miles ago and touch wood not a single puncture!

so yeah i really rate the one's and don't even find them too bad in the wet providing you stay within your limits and don't push it descending and the bonus with one's is they are very easy to change, the gatorskins were a nightmare to get on/off.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Schwalbe ones are not meant to last more than a few 1000km and thats by Schwalbe themselves saying so. They are a race performance tyre. They released the V guard for a bit more puncture protection and is more of a pavé tyre if you like smashing it over cobbles. Even so I used to run ones all year round when I lived in Germany as the roads were more forgiving. 2 months in UK and a brand new set was ripped to shreds by crap road surfaces and pot holes. I now just use GP4000s or Open Corsas
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'm using 25c Conti 4 Seasons, have been using them through Dec and Jan with no cutting up or punctures. I run GP4000s in Summer and if there is a difference in suppleness or rolling resistance, it seems negligible to me.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Another happy winter 4seasons user here. 4000S mainly in summer. Have tried Ones last summer and they are pretty decent - at least in the dry. When it's wet the winter bike comes out :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D