Routes in Hertfordshire

MTBDanno
MTBDanno Posts: 60
edited February 2017 in MTB general
I live in Stevenage, Herts and looking for a range of route to tackle on my own and with the misses.

She won't do anything too strenuous, I'm thinking canal paths, fire roads and some woodland tracks. For me, single track and anything else that's near by really.

Is anyone from the area and knows of any decent routes to head for?

Comments

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Canal paths aplenty. Ware all the way into London by the Olympic site.

Not so sure of woodland tracks as I iz a roadie.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    Canal paths aplenty. Ware all the way into London by the Olympic site.

Not so sure of woodland tracks as I iz a roadie.

I used to ride from Hertford to Rye house along the canal. Its a flat ride, good for casual summer rides with the misses.

Hoping to find something a bit more adventurous for myself.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    OS is probably the best place to find joined up easy trails etc.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • haywain
    haywain Posts: 14
    There are loads of good bridleways and the like to the west of Stevenage and Hitchin across to Harpenden and Luton. It's an area where I ride regularly, although starting from the other side.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    There's the Letchworth Greenway, which is a multi use path that is quite easy going. There's plenty of options to extend or veer off for something a bit more adventurous but is a good start. It's a 13 mile loop pretty much all off road. Head for Graveley from Stevenage, under the A1 bridge and chuck a right up the bank, follow the path and you'll get to it after about a mile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT7gwptNAwA
  • I work in Royston and there are plenty around here, but you would need to know where you are going - I just follow the local guys I ride with. Send me a PM and I can see if I can get some gpx files over to you, or link to my Strava.