SE London to Moorgate Hivemind Request

MrSweary
MrSweary Posts: 1,699
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
Morning All,

I'll shortly be moving office and leaving the gilded surrounds of Mayfair for the gaudy excess of the city (and thank heavens, I hate Mayfair).

So, my route to work will be changing. Start point is Beckenham, new end point will be Moorgate. Currently I go over Crystal Palace, Dulwich, Herne Hill, Loughboro jct, Oval, Vauxhall Bridge ect. I quite like this route (apart from Penge). It is fairly direct and has plenty of quieter roads.

Therefore current thoughts are as follows:-

- Do same route to then hook up to CS7 at Oval and follow in to Southwark Bridge and wiggle up to Moorgate via the various cycle lanes.

- Same until Dulwich then Sunray Av down to Denmark Hill, Camberwell / Walworth Road to CS7 and over Southwark Bridge to the city then same.

My question : Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any tips for the CS7 or City parts of the journey? Anything I should definitely avoid?

Hivemind GO!
Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
Kona Paddy Wagon
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    I think either route to Southwark bridge is fine and gives you abit of variation. Only things id say are dont use London Bridge or go near Bank. Id be tempted to go straight over Southwark Bridge then hit Ironmonger Lane which gets you close to Moorgate, depending on where our new office is.
  • MrSweary
    I think either route to Southwark bridge is fine and gives you abit of variation. Only things id say are dont use London Bridge or go near Bank. Id be tempted to go straight over Southwark Bridge then hit Ironmonger Lane which gets you close to Moorgate, depending on where our new office is.

Ta. I'd sort of ruled out London Bridge as the new office is on Finsbury Circus but accessed from South Pl / Eldon road so I need to be on the Moorgate side and I know King William Street is a narrow traffic jam.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    What's so bad about London Bridge / Bank? I go Beckenham to Leadenhall Street and take the last route OP described but go from Elephant & Castle down Borough High Street, across London Bridge and then on to Gracechurch Street, but you could just fork left at end of London Bridge and ride on to Moorgate. Southwark Bridge is a right pain in my experience, getting through all the sets of lights and mixed use pedestrian zones to get to Gresham St used to take ages.

An alternative route into City would be to go up Beckenham Hill, down through Catford then Lewisham and either head down Old Kent Road or Lower Road / Old Jamaica Road, then over Tower Bridge. Maybe a bit far East for you though.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    BigMat wrote:
    Southwark Bridge is a right pain in my experience, getting through all the sets of lights and mixed use pedestrian zones to get to Gresham St used to take ages.

It can easily take 5 minutes to cycle the 400 metres from Gresham St to Southwark bridge if lights and crowds of peds are against you. I have no real choice, as that's where I work, but if you can avoid it, you should.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    BigMat wrote:
    What's so bad about London Bridge / Bank?

Lots of little things. I avoid them so there is less to think about.
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:
    What's so bad about London Bridge / Bank?

Lots of little things. I avoid them so there is less to think about.

It isn't ideal granted, but not sure Southwark Bridge is any better and Tower Bridge also not great. All in all, I usually opt for the most direct route!
  • MrSweary
    Thanks gents - I've kind of accepted that North of the river is going to be crap. Dunno if the Bank taxi ban will make any difference.

The entrance to the office garage is a pain to get to and I'm loath to get off and walk even for a few hundred yards. I also don't know if the CS7 from just before Elephant and Castle is any good. Seems to wind around all over the place, down alleys and back streets. What is Elephant and Castle like now - have heard it is a bit of a nightmare?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    MrSweary wrote:

Ta. I'd sort of ruled out London Bridge as the new office is on Finsbury Circus but accessed from South Pl / Eldon road so I need to be on the Moorgate side and I know King William Street is a narrow traffic jam.

I do Waterloo station, union street via Borough market) over London bridge, Bank to Moorgate to my offices on Finsbury square, coming in is fine going home is a joke or one way crossrail road closures and solid traffic jams blocking every juntion.

Welcome! :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Just think, you have the joy that is Whitecross market on your doorstep
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MrSweary
    itboffin wrote:
    Just think, you have the joy that is Whitecross market on your doorstep

Can't wait to be back in the City and environs. Three years dodging distracted tourists and the idle rich is more than enough for me.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • hopkinb
    MrSweary wrote:
    I also don't know if the CS7 from just before Elephant and Castle is any good. Seems to wind around all over the place, down alleys and back streets. What is Elephant and Castle like now - have heard it is a bit of a nightmare?

It's fine, there are a couple of traffic light controlled crossings of major roads, which can hold you up a bit, especially if a bus is parked where it shouldn't be. The back streets are largely traffic free. I haven't taken E&C northbound since they remodelled it, so can't comment on whether it's any good. Sometimes I end up at the lights just before Southwark Bridge ahead of people who take E&C, sometimes behind. You'll also want to take the "sex panther" cut through, which misses out a couple of sets of traffic lights. That's a left off Southwark Bridge Road onto great Guildford Street, then under a railway bridge, immediate right onto I think it's America Street, then left to roll up to the Southwark Bridge lights.

Southwark bridge can be an excellent SCR spot if it's clear. Slightly uphill for about 400 metres, only one side road.
  • bigmat
    I avoid CS7 between E&C and the City, justtake the main road its fine. E&C is OK, slower than it used to be due to traffic lights. Sticking to main road works best for me, usually at least as quick as the cycle path and less chance of being taken out by peds.

What's the "sex panther" name all about? I used to take that shortcut when going north across Southwark bridge, although more often than not I want to end of Great Guildfors St and turned right onto Southwark St before left onto the bridge - depending on lights, that way is usuallyquicker.
  • hopkinb
    BigMat wrote:
    I avoid CS7 between E&C and the City, justtake the main road its fine. E&C is OK, slower than it used to be due to traffic lights. Sticking to main road works best for me, usually at least as quick as the cycle path and less chance of being taken out by peds.

What's the "sex panther" name all about? I used to take that shortcut when going north across Southwark bridge, although more often than not I want to end of Great Guildfors St and turned right onto Southwark St before left onto the bridge - depending on lights, that way is usuallyquicker.

I've taken the gamble that I'd rather be taken out by a ped than a bus, truck, taxi, van etc, and be on a route that's usually at least as quick as the main road. :shock:

Sex panther is a joke from a film I've not seen - Ron Burgundy. Apparently it refers to something that "works all of the time, 60% of the time".
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I'm in Finsbury Square and while Southwark Bridge is a bit of a pain I think it's the best route. I hate the pedestrianised bits and the gas-pipe maintenance on Cannon St is making it worse. Basically it's all a bit crap north of the river and I chop and change just for a bit of variety. The back routes up to London Wall are normally traffic free up to about 8.30 when the delivery drivers block up roads
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • MrSweary
    WarrenG wrote:
    I'm in Finsbury Square and while Southwark Bridge is a bit of a pain I think it's the best route. I hate the pedestrianised bits and the gas-pipe maintenance on Cannon St is making it worse. Basically it's all a bit crap north of the river and I chop and change just for a bit of variety. The back routes up to London Wall are normally traffic free up to about 8.30 when the delivery drivers block up roads

Yeah - I'd planned on using the back lanes and I'll be through well before then.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • itboffin
    8.30 am and pm both just wrong, proper working hours are 10:30 ish until 4 ish
  • When I do that route, I prefer to stay off Camberwell Road/Walworth Road as they are congested hellholes.

I would stay a little further east and head down to Camberwell Grove (I was going to say how to get to Camberwell Grove but from Beckenham you would be a little further east from where I was in Dulwich), then across Burgess Park, up Portland Street. You come out to the east of Elephant & Castle and can then use the cycle route on Rockingham Street to avoid the E&C roundabout. Cross over the A3 and head up Southwark Bridge Road.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • MrSweary
    When I do that route, I prefer to stay off Camberwell Road/Walworth Road as they are congested hellholes.

I would stay a little further east and head down to Camberwell Grove (I was going to say how to get to Camberwell Grove but from Beckenham you would be a little further east from where I was in Dulwich), then across Burgess Park, up Portland Street. You come out to the east of Elephant & Castle and can then use the cycle route on Rockingham Street to avoid the E&C roundabout. Cross over the A3 and head up Southwark Bridge Road.

Hmmm that gives me something else to think about. Would probably mean going over Kirkdale and Sydenham Hill then Lordship Lane for me which I don't particularly fancy but could be worth a little explore.

Leaning towards keeping my current route to Oval then CS7.

Thanks for all the tips gang.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    BigMat wrote:
    An alternative route into City would be to go up Beckenham Hill, down through Catford then Lewisham and either head down Old Kent Road or Lower Road / Old Jamaica Road, then over Tower Bridge. Maybe a bit far East for you though.

Was going to suggest this or subtle variations. Wife does similar route from our place to Ropemaker Street. How about
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Becke ... 95!3e2!5i1
    You could also continue up to New Cross then OKR or drop down to Surrey Quays and Jamaica via Sanford St/Trundleys. She finds best route varies depending on when she goes, early doors with little traffic it's worth going the longer route via New Cross, evenings it's quicker cutting through Nunhead.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I'm Beckenham to St Pauls (used to be Barbican). The flat easy route is up via the A21, then Brookmil Rd, Evelyn St, Lower Rd, Jamaica Rd etc.

I find London Bridge fine, especially now that Tower is back open - also find Bank easy enough and pretty quick upto Moorgate.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    I would stay a little further east and head down to Camberwell Grove

What's happening to Camberwell Grove?

They seem to have cut it off as a through route for cars (good), but also set it up so that bikes are ejected into a stream of traffic half way down the hill with no clear priority about who gives way to who.
  • I'll admit I haven't ridden down there for a few months - I'm a summer only commuter since I moved out of London (train and Brompton during the winter months).

I'm guessing that it's the bridge half-way down that has been closed to cars? I think it has been weak for years - it had traffic lights on it for ages to reduce the number of cars on it at any one time. I won't be riding down it again until at least March, but thanks for the heads-up.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    Yes, that's right - they've narrowed it's only wide enough for a single bike lane going north and south.

They've also removed the traffic lights and all road markings. So there's nothing to tell cars approaching on McNeil road that they need to stop and look for bikes coming from their left at 30 mph+ down the hill.

The new layout also reduces visibility collects ice... a good combination of road saftey features.
  • itboffin
    London bridge does have a habit of turning into a car park