Dropper post help

mrbubbaman
mrbubbaman Posts: 171
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a dropper post for my Boardman FS Pro. I have a small frame, which I think is going to limit my options.
This is what I've measured so far and struggling to find something that fits and doesn't break the bank.

Post on show to rails = 200mm
Total post length = 350mm
Collar = 15mm
Width = 31.6

What size post do I need? I thought that it would need to be 350mm max with a 100mm drop. If I put my list right down, it only goes in 50mm due to the size of the frame

What to do?

Comments

• cant be of help sadly

posting so i can find again easier later as its an upgrade i may do to my fs pro in future so is good reference for me ( also, is your fs pro a 2016 model or an earlier one ?? - i ask as it may help other folks better advise as my 2016 model has option for an internal cable routing for a dropper but older models may not have & need an external trigger version etc.
  • So that I have this right... your seat post is 350mm long but once you have your seat setup perfectly you can only see 200mm sticking out from the frame meaning you have 150mm of post inside the frame.

If so then the rockshox reverb comes in a 340mm size with a 100mm drop. This would mean you would have the post on your frame by 140mm which would then give you your perfect seat height. Then the post would drop by 100mm.

I've only ever tried a reverb but I got to say it's very good. If you have a 1 x setup with your gears then I would get a right hand button but fit it upside down on the left. This gives you the most comfy setup.
  • cant be of help sadly

posting so i can find again easier later as its an upgrade i may do to my fs pro in future so is good reference for me ( also, is your fs pro a 2016 model or an earlier one ?? - i ask as it may help other folks better advise as my 2016 model has option for an internal cable routing for a dropper but older models may not have & need an external trigger version etc.

It's the new one with internal routing.
    The bit that's been confusing me is how long the seat post can be, the ones I've found are 385mm and I thought that might be too long, as my seat doesn't go all the way down due to the bend in the frame
  • POAH wrote:
    1025387d1446220627-late-dropper-post-game-0034383e-462e-4ea0-a9be-ae48fc49b469.png

Cheers for that, my fear is buying one and getting it wrong ...... I have form for it :D
  • mrbubbaman wrote:

If you can fit 185mm inside the frame then yes it will
  • mrbubbaman wrote:

I had the same issue when I bought a dropper for my hardtail. I had quite a large frame which meant I needed a short post to get my perfect seat height.

I went for a rockshox reverb 30.9 355mm length with 100mm drop. I then used a shim so it would fit 31.6. It worked a treat.

I used it for 3 months and then bought a full sus that already had a dropper. I then sold it to my mate who has used it about 3 times and now he's bought a full sus with a dropper so I'm sure he would sell it to you for £100. It's basically brand new.

If your interested then send me a message.
  • mrbubbaman wrote:

I had the same issue when I bought a dropper for my hardtail. I had quite a large frame which meant I needed a short post to get my perfect seat height.

I went for a rockshox reverb 30.9 355mm length with 100mm drop. I then used a shim so it would fit 31.6. It worked a treat.

I used it for 3 months and then bought a full sus that already had a dropper. I then sold it to my mate who has used it about 3 times and now he's bought a full sus with a dropper so I'm sure he would sell it to you for £100. It's basically brand new.

If your interested then send me a message.

Does it still have the shim?
  • Yep. Shins are only a thin piece of plastic anyway. Think there £2-3
  • Rauer
    Rauer Posts: 16
    Yep I have the shim and I have the dropper!
  • Currently watching a couple on eBay which are new or only a couple months old.
    This is one, it's a custom dropper for a specific bike, if my seat post is 350mm, will this post be ok at 300mm?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332107193393? ... EBIDX%3AIT
  • Picked up a Giant contact SL on eBay, 6 months old and it great condition.
    Fitted yesterday and quite pleased with it. Just need a day off without kids to try it out (bloody half term)