Best place to find out about sportives

ian_oli
ian_oli Posts: 763
I have mainly audaxed the last few years until illness forced me to stop. Now I am back on my bike I would like to focus more on sportives. Where are the best places to find out about what events are on? Thanks.

Comments

• Google.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Normally people begin with sportives and then move to audaxes as they are better value...

Anyway, many of them are listed on the british cycling website... others are not BC. Some are definitively worth doing, many are just plain rip-offs
    left the forum March 2023
  • www.sportive.com - they have full calendar of sportive, mainly UK but some globally. Helpful section of sportive reviews too.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    ian_oli wrote:
    I have mainly audaxed the last few years until illness forced me to stop. Now I am back on my bike I would like to focus more on sportives. Where are the best places to find out about what events are on? Thanks.

Why Sportives and not Audaxes ?
  • I suppose it depends on where in the country you are based but as a Lincolnshire rider I use www.sportivehq.com and www.itpevents.co.uk. Hope this helps.
  • Piton
    Piton Posts: 9
    http://www.sportive.com is a good site, specially for races in the UK. If you are also interested in riding Granfondo's outside the UK than www.cyclocalendar.com is a better site. Many Granfondo's in France and italy.

And sure some of the Granfondo's are a rip-off, but there are also many events with reasonable prices.
  • Piton wrote:

And sure some of the Granfondo's are a rip-off, but there are also many events with reasonable prices.

It's not about the price... it's what you get for your money.

Meeting in a field, following a few arrows in the middle of nowhere, passing through some average villages and get a time is not good value for money, even if they cost "only" 20 quid

On the other hand, for 50 quid you get the Fred Whitton, which is totally worth the price tag, in terms of challenge, atmosphere, scenery etc..
  • Piton
    Piton wrote:

yes you are right. The value for money.

I've ridden the Tour Trans Alp twice, and although the entry fee is EUR 750 (7 stages from South of Germany to Lake Garda in Italy) I found it really value for money.
  • Piton wrote:
    Piton wrote:

I've ridden the Tour Trans Alp twice, and although the entry fee is EUR 750 (7 stages from South of Germany to Lake Garda in Italy) I found it really value for money.

Friend of mine did it... we are taling 10 years ago... it did sound an epic event. It's a stage race though, not a sprotive, as I understand
  • Piton
    Piton wrote:

Friend of mine did it... we are taling 10 years ago... it did sound an epic event. It's a stage race though, not a sportive, as I understand
    I did it in 2012 and 2013.

It is a stage race. Same type of cyclists as participating on Granfondo's