londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
ppp

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    30. If you buy the 20 you'll just regret not spending the extra 150
  • Still waiting to see your Kinesis GF Ti ??? Did you ever build it?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Ordered the 10 yesterday it's just a great bargain. My issue is the bloody sizing as I ride a 54 and Genesis call that a small!
  • londoncommuter
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • Go with the 30, you'll regret anything else. It's a lovely bike.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I bought a 10 this time last year, fantastic bike! If I could I would have the 30 though, if nothing else it saves messing about with mechanical discs, not to get into another argument on the subject but coming from mountain biking they do slightly repulse me...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    as a commuter .. I would get the 30 ..... yes its £400 more, but if you are using it every day it will take some serious abuse, might as well have a spec you like and as said those brakes wont need touching for a year at least .... the mechanicals you will fettle with quite a few times
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    How many days commuting by bike would you have to do to save £400 on bus/train/car costs?

For me it would be 20 weeks commuting by bus, which is why my current commuter cost a grand and has full hydraulic discs (although it's not nearly as nice as those Equilibriums imo).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I guess as a commuter the "sensible" money would be £600 for the 10.
    When has sensible ever come into it? Wash your mouth out! Saying to wash your hands for typing that doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Go with the 30, you'll regret anything else. It's a lovely bike.
    This is the right answer and you know it.
  • Hydraulic upgrade would cost way more than £150.

Get the hydraulic.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bmxboy10
    Who is selling the 30 for a grand? All the bikes I see on line are £1299 or their abouts.
  • bmxboy10
    My 10 arrived, bargain! very pleased and will be a great winter bike once I have sorted a few things like tyres etc
  • solboy10 wrote:
    My 10 arrived, bargain! very pleased and will be a great winter bike once I have sorted a few things like tyres etc

How are the brakes?

The 30 I was prevaricating over has sadly sold so it's the 10 for £600 now or wait and get a bike on ride to work later in the year. Tricky.
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:

How are the brakes?

The 30 I was prevaricating over has sadly sold so it's the 10 for £600 now or wait and get a bike on ride to work later in the year. Tricky.

Brakes need to bed in so cant say. That said I bought the bike knowing they were not going to be as good as hydros. Way I see it is the Taigra groupset is just 10 speed 105 and it was fine for me a few years ago so will be fine now. Its steel but not Reynolds and again I bought it knowing this. Also is a cheap bike! If the brakes don't work out ill flog them and get the 105 hyrdos - it will still be a cheap bike. BTW tyre clearance is great - could get 40c tyres on here no worries!

Only thing negative is its got a 110mm stem on a 54 frame!
  • solboy10 wrote:

Odd one that as the place I was looking at for the Disc 30 said theirs had a 110mm stem as well. That's despite Genesis listing it as a 100mm. Was a plus for me as the reach is really short, although I suppose I hadn't allowed for those hideous 105 hydro shifters!
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:

Odd one that as the place I was looking at for the Disc 30 said theirs had a 110mm stem as well. That's despite Genesis listing it as a 100mm. Was a plus for me as the reach is really short, although I suppose I hadn't allowed for those hideous 105 hydro shifters!

I hear they give you another 20mm reach!

Just looked at the prices and the Ultegra version seems to have gone up a lot over the last year or so. I bet this is due to the 105 gear now being more readily available - another way to mug off the cyclist! The Ultegra version could be had for £350 from Germany a while back.
  • londoncommuter
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • While I'm bothering you all, any particular recommendations for mudguards? I'd go for SKS Chromoplastic narrow but have no idea about disc and any complications they might bring. Thanks for any tips.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplast ... guard-set/
  • Just ordered a Disc 30. Very excited. Far too nice for commuting on. Can't believe I've been suckered into the whole disc brake and steel frame hype....

Any chance of a picture this time? :lol::D
  • londoncommuter
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    While I'm bothering you all, any particular recommendations for mudguards? I'd go for SKS Chromoplastic narrow but have no idea about disc and any complications they might bring. Thanks for any tips.

I'd be interested in this as well. My experience of 'guards with discs is that most of them come without the bolts to secure them to the seatstays/forks, as I think the assumption is that most people will use them on caliper brake frames, and would therefore not need them (just use the caliper bolts instead).
    I have ordered a Genesis Equil disc frame, as one of my bugbears is ill fitting mudguards for my current bike (even though it is advertised as having fittings for mudguards, they are pretty useless).
    I think with the Genesis disc frames are far more compatible with most mudguards, as long as they have the correct bolts.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    While I'm bothering you all, any particular recommendations for mudguards? I'd go for SKS Chromoplastic narrow but have no idea about disc and any complications they might bring. Thanks for any tips.

Can you get the shop to fit them on the bike before delivery/collection?

I requested that when I bought my CdF and they called to say they couldn't get them on with the big tyres, so i was able to discuss a change to the set up to fit before they delivered it.
  • I asked the shop:

I was going to fit SKS Chromoplastic narrow mudguards to it (35mm for up to 28c tyres).

Do you know if they'll play nicely with the discs and the 27c Challenge Paris-Roubaix CL Plus tyres it comes with?

Their reply:

It gets a bit tight with the 35mm guards. Ideally you would want to go slightly wider with your guards.

I'm not fussed about running 27c so had thought maybe of selling those straight on and putting 25c on instead. Sounds like it should work?
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    If your're not going to use them, then fine. With my CdF I had a commuter hybrid with 32mm tyres, so I just swapped the tyres over when the bike was delivered. These days I don't go with anything wider than 28mm on the CdF anyway. Also 35mm smoother tyres would have fitted, it's just the supplied cx tyres were too knobbly.