Microtech Crankset removal

Gus01112
Gus01112 Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hello, I am cleaning up a bike that is a bit of a state, trying to remove the Microtech crank set to clean / replace the bottom bracket and having removed the opposite arm without any drama the crank set pulls through to a certain point, but then refuses to budge any further. Am I missing a pin somewhere or in need of an extraction tool, or just not pulling hard enough?
Bike is a Basso Laguna 2013 - with a Shimano 105 groupset
Thank you in advance of any advise

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Is it a bb30 affair with a 10mm alan key to remove the offside arm? If so its just a wiggle until it comes past the other bearing inside the shell.
  • Thank you, yes a 10mm allen key allows offside pedal to be removed then crank pulls through to what I assume is the nearside bearing and there it stays. I will wiggle harder and hopefully succeed.
    thanks for the reply
  • smoggysteve
    If it helps. I've had to smack them off with a wooden handle off a hammer before. Or find a solid wooden object you can fit inside to knock it through with. No metal on metal as it will mess up the splines
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Block of wood on the splines and hit it with a hammer, you'll find it only needs a relatively gentle tap to get it moving.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    The Rookie wrote:
    Block of wood on the splines and hit it with a hammer, you'll find it only needs a relatively gentle tap to get it moving.
    If it is a bb30, A friend of my has a Basso bike with 11 Ultegra, it has a Micro Tech crank 50/34. It might be hard to get parts. I was thinking, he should change it to a Shimano hollowtech one. Would it fit ?
  • smoggysteve
    sextoke1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    If it is a bb30, A friend of my has a Basso bike with 11 Ultegra, it has a Micro Tech crank 50/34. It might be hard to get parts. I was thinking, he should change it to a Shimano hollowtech one. Would it fit ?

Not without an adapter
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Not without an adapter

The meaurements around the hub area is 86.5mm is the flush face of the hub area. The diameter of the opening is 42mm. Would this be too wide for adaptors?
  • smoggysteve
    sextoke1 wrote:
    sextoke1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Not without an adapter

The meaurements around the hub area is 86.5mm is the flush face of the hub area. The diameter of the opening is 42mm. Would this be too wide for adaptors?

If you are wanting to use a 24mm crank like hollowtech in a 86.5 bb shell you may be looking for a bb386evo to 24mm - rotor do one. So many connotations for BB variations it's hard to tell some times.
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 wrote:
    sextoke1 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Not without an adapter

If you are wanting to use a 24mm crank like hollowtech in a 86.5 bb shell you may be looking for a bb386evo to 24mm - rotor do one. So many connotations for BB variations it's hard to tell some times.
    Just got to look at his bike, the bearings are 61805 which is a 25x37x7mm bearing. It has a small insert that brings it down to ID 24mm and a side wall protector of about 1.6mm. Both bearings are like this. I siad above that the bearings were OD 42mm but this evening I saw the adaptor down to 37mm. Where would a person get these two bearings with the plastic reducer ?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    my basso laguna is BB86, i seem to remember the crank was a painto remove but with a bit of force it'll come off
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • sextoke1
    Chris Bass wrote:
    my basso laguna is BB86, i seem to remember the crank was a painto remove but with a bit of force it'll come off
    Looking again at the bike, and online, is a PF41 (pressfit) the correct replacement for this bike. The diameter of the opening is 41mm.