Flat Shoes vs Flat shoes

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited January 2017 in MTB general
Hi, I do more road cycling than MTB and would like to address that this year.

I use clipless pedals on my road bike but don't have the confidence at the moment to go clipless on my MTB.

I have been using a cheap pair of aldi MTB shoes but the have self destructed after about 10 rides so I'm in the market for a new pair. I was looking at out and out flat Shoes but I've noticed there are flat style shoes which have the necessary for attaching cleets but look like they still have enough surface for the flat pedals.

Any drawbacks to these over pure flats?

... Just in case I decide to go clipless in the near future...

PS. I'm using Wellgo b143 pedals

Comments

• Less surface contact with the pins so less grip. Whether that's an issue will depend on how much grip you like/need.

Just go clipless :)
  • Thanks. My pedals pins are all around the outside edges so I think I may get away with it.

... And in all probability I'll end up clipless... Once I convince myself I don't need the emergency exit
  • Most pedals have pins over the whole body, I rode Saints for a couple of years and you could tell the difference when you didn't have the centre pins in. If you have time to bail you have time to unclip, if you don't you're going down whatever you are riding. SPDs/MTB pedals are easier to get out of than road pedals and more secure on the pedals if your technique isn't spot on. Flat pedals are also pretty unforgiving if your foot slips off, just take a look at any flat riders shins...

Personally I would commit to one or the other. You can always sell the pedals and shoes on if you decide to go with the other option. Or run the SPDs on your road bike in the winter.
  • https://goo.gl/images/niodmT

Pins only go around the edges on mine.

Fair point about using the shoes on road bike in winter

It's actually the slow switch back climbs that I'm most worries about. Stall... Splat
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Just use multi-release SPD cleats. Much easier to unclip in an emergency than the 'normal' cleats.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    JBA wrote:
    Just use multi-release SPD cleats. Much easier to unclip in an emergency than the 'normal' cleats.

Or just use flats, be done with it, stop worrying and save yourself any agro. A decent set of pedals, a pair of 5.10s and you'll almost feel like you're clipped in anyway. And any advantage there might be to clipping in is neither here nor there unless you're trying to win races.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • JBA wrote:

Or just use flats, be done with it, stop worrying and save yourself any agro. A decent set of pedals, a pair of 5.10s and you'll almost feel like you're clipped in anyway. And any advantage there might be to clipping in is neither here nor there unless you're trying to win races.

I find my feet bounce off the pedals if I'm not clipped in
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's technique. Needs work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    mrbubbaman wrote:
    JBA wrote:

I find my feet bounce off the pedals if I'm not clipped in

With a good shoe and pedal combination that's a very rare thing and, yes, as cooldad says above.
  • Is it more cost effective to get some 5:10s, get some nanos, then get some shin guards, than going spd and going top of the range?
  • Is it more cost effective to get some 5:10s, get some nanos, then get some shin guards, than going spd and going top of the range?

Well yes, top of the range Sidi Dracos are £330.

• Well yes, top of the range Sidi Dracos are £330.

Case in point: go flats.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    edited January 2017
    Is it more cost effective to get some 5:10s, get some nanos, then get some shin guards, than going spd and going top of the range?

That's a pointless question. Of course it will be more cost effective, but why does it have to be top of the range?

A set of M520 pedals for £20 and a pair of MT34 shoes for £30 and you're sorted. You won't get 5.10's, Nanos and a pair of shin guards for that.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    JBA wrote:
    You won't get 5.10's, Nanos and a pair of shin guards for that.

You don't need the shin guards because...

...chicks dig scars.
  • JBA wrote:

That's a pointless question. Of course it will be more cost effective, but why does it have to be top of the range?

5:10s, Nanos and the best shin guards (still unsure which) are pretty much top of the range for flats.
  • JBA wrote:

5:10s, Nanos and the best shin guards (still unsure which) are pretty much top of the range for flats.
    So everyone should ride ony hard tails then?
  • So everyone should ride ony hard tails then?

How did you make that leap? Running flats includes all MTBs. Roadies are a different kettle of fish.
  • So everyone should ride ony hard tails then?

How did you make that leap? Running flats includes all MTBs. Roadies are a different kettle of fish.

Yeah, I remember watching all those people riding flats at the Olympics...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some of us don't ride at the olympics.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Yes, I'm making the point why assuming flats are better because they can be cheaper at the high end is a silly assumption.
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:

You, too? And I thought it was only me.
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Yes, I'm making the point why assuming flats are better because they can be cheaper at the high end is a silly assumption.

Who said flats were "better"?
  • cooldad wrote:

Who said flats were "better"?
    TO stave off the pendantry, Ross did not say better, he said that the OP should go for flats because top of the range would be cheaper. He did, however imply flats cover all of MTB so I think it's a fair assumption to suggest he was meaning better.

My point, and others, is that it's a silly comparison. Both work fine in most cases but anyone buying Dracos is doing it for very specific reasons (or has money to burn). Flats cannot compete where Dracos are intended to be used. Similarly, Dracos don't turn up on the DH WC scene for very good reasons.

• TO stave off the pendantry, Ross did not say better

Nope.
    he said that the OP should go for flats because top of the range would be cheaper.

Yep.
    He did, however imply flats cover all of MTB

so I think it's a fair assumption to suggest he was meaning better.

I wasn't thinking about the Olympics, sorry. Are there any flat pedals used in any Olympic MTB biking events? Maybe they stick to the possible, not implied myth that SPDs are better. Mind you, if we go that far, then we can assume the best have tried the best that flats have to currently offer.
    My point, and others, is that it's a silly comparison. Both work fine in most cases but anyone buying Dracos is doing it for very specific reasons (or has money to burn).

Who would buy Dracos anyway? Someone who can't get sponsored for the pro circuit? Why include the madman getout clause (the Donald Trump of shoe buying)?
  • ...So...
    ...As a rank amateur with no Olympic dreams who trying to do a few more red miles at trail centres and a bit more XC riding on his hard tail...
    Where do we stand?
    I'm erring towards the flats but it does worry me I'll jump on the road bike and forget I'm clipped in :shock: :lol:

P.s. I have shin guards already :wink: bought 661 comps cos they seemed "best value"... Feel like a twat in them tho... seem a bit overkill
  • @OP I've been riding clipless for almost 20 years, and have recently switched to flats, why? Because I'm now focused on improving my technique, surely I could use clipless pedals too, but clipless allow you to 'cheat' whereas flats don't. I'm more confident with flats too eg: when learning to manual I'm sure I'd fallen backwards if I had been in clipless while with flats I could get my feet off in time.
    Personally I feel more conected to the bike on flats.

If you get some Five Ten and any decent pedal you're ready to go.
    I guess there's no 'better' but 'different', and it's great to have options for one to choose.
  • ...So...
    ...As a rank amateur with no Olympic dreams who trying to do a few more red miles at trail centres and a bit more XC riding on his hard tail...
    Where do we stand?
    I'm erring towards the flats but it does worry me I'll jump on the road bike and forget I'm clipped in :shock: :lol:

P.s. I have shin guards already :wink: bought 661 comps cos they seemed "best value"... Feel like a fool in them tho... seem a bit overkill

Go with whatever you feel most comfortable on. In reality, when you are riding you won't notice much difference while riding, it's only likely to matter when it comes to putting a foot down. Do bear in mind that you can basically wrench SPD cleats out of the pedal just by pulling them and you can get multi-release cleats which come out even easier. They're not like road cleats.

If you go clipless get the cheapest Shimano SPD pedals you can and something like the Giro Privateer shoes. If you go flats then 5:10s (I'd recommend impacts over freeriders) and something like Superstar nanos or Shimano Saints.

About switching between bikes, don't worry about it. I rode flats on my MTB, SPD on my fixed and SPD-SL on my road bike for ages. You don't forget. I now ride SPD on my MTB/Monstercross bike and my fixed wheel and SPD-SL on my road bike.
  • Decision made. Flats won!

I have a pair of 5.10 Impact VXi on the way.

Thanks very much for your input guys.
  • Did you consider the Contacts?? Too late now I guess..
  • Decision made. Flats won!

I have a pair of 5.10 Impact VXi on the way.

Thanks very much for your input guys.

The VXis are little wide for normal feet, so they may not be for you.