28mm tyres and mudguards on 2015 Cannondale Synapse Alloy?

drwae
drwae Posts: 223
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi I just got myself a 2015 Cannondale Synapse, alloy model. Collecting it tomorrow and hope to order some new tyres and mudguards today to have ready to go on the bike. Does anyone know if this frame will take 28mm tyres and mudguards?

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Don't know about all brands of 28mm tyre but mate has same bike and runs 25mm Schwalbe one tubeless on Bontrager Race tubeless rims.

He has had to remove the full 'guards he had fitted as the Schwalbes come up too large for them. He now uses Raceblades.

And not a typo- he is using 25's not 28's
  • drwae
    Semantik wrote:
    Don't know about all brands of 28mm tyre but mate has same bike and runs 25mm Schwalbe one tubeless on Bontrager Race tubeless rims.

He has had to remove the full 'guards he had fitted as the Schwalbes come up too large for them. He now uses Raceblades.

And not a typo- he is using 25's not 28's
    That's a shame, I can only fit 25mm tyres on my supersix evo I thought the synapse would at least take 28s...
    Will look at getting 25mms and race blades then thanks.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I have a 2015 Synapse adventure, and was fairly certain you could run up to 30's on them if you wanted, you certainly can on the carbon ones.

I run 25's as that is the max width the factory mudguards can cope with.

I will be turboing later tonight, so will have a look and report back.

Can't see why you can not get wider mudguards to fit though, although I appreciate it may be tightish.
    Might need a bit of dremelling around the bridges.

Have you looked at the giant bespoke guards - they might help?
    Is it a disc brake bike?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Semantik
    I would think most 25mm tyres WIIL fit the Synapse with full 'guards-they certainly should do as it has medium drop brakes (up to 57mm)
    But those 25mm Schwalbe One tubeless balloon out to nearly 28mm on those rims. By that yardstick I would say as a general rule on that frame 28mm tyres+full guards will be no good.
  • Semantik
    Daniel B wrote:

I run 25's as that is the max width the factory mudguards can cope with.

This is the point though on which the OP was seeking advice. Bottom line, you can't run 28's with full 'guards.
    Raceblades is the sacrifice you will have to make if you want to run those lorry tyres.

The Schwalbes are measured at 27mm width http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... eless-2016
  • drwae
    It's not the disk model.
    To play it safe I think I'll just get 25mm gatorskins and race blades or the wiggle lifeline mudguard that clips on the seat post , should still be fine for a winter commuter

I made the mistake of thinking my supersix evo with gp 4000s ii s would be fine to use, everything on the bike gets covered in dirt, I get covered in dirt, and I have punctured every day :o
  • Semantik
    drwae wrote:
    It's not the disk model.
    To play it safe I think I'll just get 25mm gatorskins and race blades or the wiggle lifeline mudguard that clips on the seat post , should still be fine for a winter commuter

I made the mistake of thinking my supersix evo with gp 4000s ii s would be fine to use, everything on the bike gets covered in dirt, I get covered in dirt, and I have punctured every day :o

SKS Bluemels full guards in 35mm size will fit fine with those 25mm Gatorskins. Wouldn't expect any problems unless they are mounted on extra wide rims...
  • Gatorskins?? I thought you wanted some tyres?