Do it all MTb for £500, do I go secondhand?

On_What
On_What Posts: 516
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
I had an On one 456 setup trails but was heavy (my component choice) so I'm looking for a do it all MTb that can handle trails, minor jumping and yet be light enough to still be rideable over longish distances. It might also end up with a kids seat attachment at some point as well 8)

Looking about I think i want to branch into the 650b era, so I've been looking at secondhand bikes, such as the Ragley mmmbop, On One Parkwood/456650b and whatever else pops up on ebay.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I looking in the wrong area, should I consider 29ers? I saw a Charge cooker for not a lot in the local bikeshop the other day but felt it was a bit flimsy.

Comments

• I take it your looking at a hardtail? Wouldn't touch a full suss for that money.

As always the voodoo bizango and hoodoo are great options. With British cycling 10% off you will be able to get either. For the money nothing beats spec but also they are proven especially the bizango.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    yeah hardtails only. I looked at the Voodoo, great bike etc just looks a little mickey mouse, maybe I am asking too much of my budget?
  • On_What wrote:
    yeah hardtails only. I looked at the Voodoo, great bike etc just looks a little mickey mouse, maybe I am asking too much of my budget?

Colour wise on the bizango is a bit marmite but if you worried about it being a capable bike it is very highly rated. Think it's won bike radars hardtail under £1000 for about 3 years in a row
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Laura Trott MTB, it's the same basic frame as the Carrera and ridiculous value at £430 (Raidon air forks, though axle and 1x11).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.