Anyone doing recumbent exercise bikes?

What are the reasons why recumbent exercises bikes are valuable and useful? Can I replace it to my mountain bike everyday?

Comments

• OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    Uh, what?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've used a recumbent exercise bike before, what I would say is they use the muscles differently to a normal bike, they definitely hit one group of muscles in my buttocks that I only usually seem to work on a normal bike when climbing, so on that basis they may help with climbing.

Please don't ask me to explain it or why it should be the case, it just is for me OK!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They take up a lot more space than normal exercise bikes. I'd only bother with them in the gym.
  • MTBerSurrey
    MTBerSurrey Posts: 52
    What are the reasons why recumbent exercises bikes are valuable and useful?

Overweight
    Bad Knees
    Lazy
    Bad Back
    Better for reading a book

:)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can I replace it to my mountain bike everyday?

Not if you use the mountain bike to actually go anywhere, no.
  • Pnutz
    Pnutz Posts: 2
    Handy if injured and cant put weight through arms.

I've used several times after shoulder injuries
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    Not sure what value this may add but yesterday I've seen a recumbent trike. It seemed home-made, but made really well. And get this. It was covered in mud. The guy actually used it for off-road. All shimano XT components with SRAM grip shifters. And it was complete with a front and rear derailleur. It even had clip-in pedals and everything.

Worst thing is, it actually got me interested how it rides.