A25 - is it safe as a commuting route?

mrfpb
mrfpb Posts: 4,569
edited February 2017 in Commuting general
Apologies for the typo in the topis title - I am not a covert Yossie (if you know how to an edit a topic title please let me know)

Looking at a route from Fleet in Hampshire to Maidstone, Kent midweek early morning to noon.

Strava recommends a route along the A25 Gomshall to Reigate. I've only used that road doing RSL and it looked like a major route. Would it be very busy at 7:00am on a weekday?

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    mrfpb wrote:
    Looking at a route from Fleet in Hampshire to Maidstone, Kent midweek early morning to noon.

Strava recommends a route along the A25 Gomshall to Reigate. I've only used that road doing RSL and it looked like a major route. Would it be very busy at 7:00am on a weekday?

Personally I can't imagine a worse route. The surface is horrendous, and it's very busy.
  • Certainly it was bonkers in the Westerham/Riverhead area when I lived there 20+ years ago. It's enough to drive you on to Southern Rail :D
  • That's quite a distance! I commute the A25 between Wrotham and Westerham regularly (often faster by bike than car in the morning). I've sort of got used to it and it is definitely doable but it's not much fun. The blind junction at the bottom of the hill at Seal in the congestion is a real highlight. In fact does anyone else here commute this route as I don't often see other cyclists during the week?

Having said that the alternative is likely to be Pilgrim's way, which I would absolutely avoid.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Google Street View is useful for this. I'd say christ no...

Interestingly if you plug that into Gmaps route for cycling - they have an alternative.

(think the OP has gone now or been flattened ?)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Fenix wrote:
    Google Street View is useful for this. I'd say christ no...

Interestingly if you plug that into Gmaps route for cycling - they have an alternative.

(think the OP has gone now or been flattened ?)

I disd away for a bit. I decided against the bike trip and took the train. The OP was about going away for a week, so out Monday, back Friday. As I couldn't find a safe looking route I didn't take the risk.

I may be going down that way again in the spring/summer, so will look at the Gmaps route.

Thanks for all the replies.