Secure bike parking near Farringdon (EC1)?

redhanded
redhanded Posts: 139
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
The company I work for is moving offices to the Farringdon area. The new office doesn't have secure parking for bikes and they aren't keen on people bringing in dripping, muddy bikes to clutter the nice, new, clean office. I'm not keen on leaving my bike out in the street all day.

Does anyone know of secure bike parking in the area, or even a company that already has secure parking that might be willing to rent out space for a couple of bikes? (for a reasonable price)

I'll likely end up bringing my bike into the office anyway but I thought I'd ask to show I've made an attempt to find an alternative and I won't find other options unless I ask!

Comments

• kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Check the TFL website, there is info there somewhere, but can't remember the link. There's a map with locations of `TFL bike storage
  • Strikes me there as an opportunity for a JustParking type app for cycling. Wonder if that's doable?
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Strikes me there as an opportunity for a JustParking type app for cycling. Wonder if that's doable?

Nice idea. I might do one for if I have time, but doubt there's much data to use as there are very few places to actually park your bike securely in London
  • Thigh_burn wrote:
    Strikes me there as an opportunity for a JustParking type app for cycling. Wonder if that's doable?

Nice idea. I might do one for if I have time, but doubt there's much data to use as there are very few places to actually park your bike securely in London

Yup, it's the secure bit I was thinking about that makes it so much harder for bikes, than cars which can be left on a drive. Plus the logistics that most secure parking in offices is inside the building (e.g. behind a gate, underground parking or similar) which makes it logistically so hard.

One answer is we need more spaces like the Cycle Vault in Holborn, but it seems unlikely there will be lots of those popping up.

I wonder what the minimum security is that most cyclists would require, in order to have sufficient trust leaving their bike in a given location. Obviously their own d-lock, but what else. No way I'd leave mine on the street all day. Ideally I'd want a lockable cage or similar, that could only be accessed with a one-time code ie a bit like you get when releasing a Boris Bike.

OP apols for going totally off topic.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    What about the H2 bike thing at St Pauls?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Thanks for the replies.

CycleVault looks great but the location is a bit far away.

Is H2 the Giant store near St Pauls? I couldn't see a reference to all-day cycle parking and again, maybe a bit far away.

I asked at the NCP car park off Farringdon Rd and they weren't interested in bikes. GIven they charge £32 per day for a car, you can see this would be more lucrative for them if it comes down to a car vs bike use of space (although I'm sure there is space that can't be used for car parking)

No reply from Islington Council's cycling officer...

I was hoping there would be a company in the area happy to rent out some of their space but I could just ask some neighbouring businesses.

Otherwise, it looks like office cyclocross and hauling my bike up and down stairs and around desks...