What bikes are you riding in South east uk?

steveca
steveca Posts: 16
edited January 2017 in MTB general
New to the forum, Im seeing what trail/ enduro bikes everyone is using in se uk as i now have free time to ride after 15 years off a bike!!
Basically im going to purchase a new/ secondhand bike in next few months and wanted advice on what everyone is using in my area and why.

Cheers for your input

Steve

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    You would be better off telling us what your budget is, otherwise you are going to get a long list of bikes from £200 to £6,000 or more.

I've ridden offroad on everything from trade bikes to 150mm full sussers, but that doesn't help you.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steveca
    fair enough £3000 budget maximum
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Have a look at this, you can customise to your budget.

https://www.bird.bike/new-aeris-145-pre-order/
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steveca
    looks a good deal with plenty of options to build to taste, delivery date is not set in stone though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Phone them. It's a small business. You'll be dealing with top management. Who also build the bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • robertpb wrote:
    Have a look at this, you can customise to your budget.

https://www.bird.bike/new-aeris-145-pre-order/

2nd this! Bird look to be a strong UK brand
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Just for the sake of disclosure, the boss of Bird is a friendly face on this forum. That being said, yes, Bird are cranking out some very competitive bikes for great prices. On the other hand, for 3K you're really spoil for choice - you'd have to try quite hard to get something duff for that money.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Just for the sake of disclosure, the boss of Bird is a friendly face on this forum. That being said, yes, Bird are cranking out some very competitive bikes for great prices. On the other hand, for 3K you're really spoil for choice - you'd have to try quite hard to get something duff for that money.

Solid advice.

I wanted a Bird Zero, unfortunately it was just out of my price range (Bike2work scheme)
  • Angus Young
    If I were buying right now, with that money, I might be looking at this...

https://www.whyte.bike/t130s

Seek out the reviews. Riders seems to be universally impressed.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Not sure why you'd want a trail/enduro bike when there aren't a lot of trails/enduro in the SE??? My money would be on a short or mid travel 29er or XC bike.
  • Angus Young
    JGTR wrote:
    Not sure why you'd want a trail/enduro bike when there aren't a lot of trails/enduro in the SE??? My money would be on a short or mid travel 29er or XC bike.

Perhaps he's got a car...
  • cooldad
    Perhaps he has. Lucky guy. But he still asked what people are using in the SE. Not the Alps.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR wrote:

I was going to post something sarcastic to highlight the stupidity of your post but I don't think it is needed in this circumstance.
  • Hmm not sure that whyte is worth that money with the spec it has. Pricing up a bird with a much better spec comes out the same price.

For me I would get a mid travelled bike, with that money you will get excellent kit which in most cases can be tuned to be as good as a short travel bike but you have the flexibility of having more travel if needed.

The trek remedy 9 rsl looks like a fantastic buy. The bike is highly rated and the spec is outstanding. It's up for £3000 but can be had at most places for £2700.

The new cube 160 hpa Tm also is an outstanding bike. I've got the 2016 model which is fantastic.
  • Angus Young
    JGTR wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

I was going to post something sarcastic to highlight the stupidity of your post but I don't think it is needed in this circumstance.

No, what's actually stupid is assuming the guy will never ride anywhere other than the SE, that in six months time, once he's got the bug, he won't be seeking out more challenging routes or planning trips to places like BPW. I live in Wiltshire but all my interesting riding is done out of the area at places like BPW, FoD, Afan etc.
    cooldad wrote:
    Perhaps he has. Lucky guy. But he still asked what people are using in the SE. Not the Alps.

Hardly an Alpine slayer, though. A bike that will do everything.
  • cooldad
    Nope but it's always fun to annoy a rock legend.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope but it's always fun to annoy a rock legend.

Give me a break - my brother's got dementia so can't remember who I am, my singer's gone deaf, my drummer's in jail, my base player has quit and I have to share a tour bus with Axl Rose. I'm stressed!
  • cooldad
    On the bright side, the only way left is up.

Or death....
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

No, what's actually stupid is assuming the guy will never ride anywhere other than the SE, that in six months time, once he's got the bug, he won't be seeking out more challenging routes or planning trips to places like BPW. I live in Wiltshire but all my interesting riding is done out of the area at places like BPW, FoD, Afan etc.
    cooldad wrote:

Hardly an Alpine slayer, though. A bike that will do everything.

I live in the SE, its flat, an Enduro big travel bike is only good for posing.

A short to mid travel XC bike is far more suitable and can still be ridden other places.
  • Angus Young
    JGTR wrote:
    I live in the SE, its flat, an Enduro big travel bike is only good for posing.

A short to mid travel XC bike is far more suitable and can still be ridden other places.

You have to read all the words, not just the ones that allow you to say the same thing.

And since when is 130mm "big travel"? The whole point of the Whyte is that it's not big travel.
  • JGTR
    He asked advise on what people who live in the SE are riding, I gave advice as I live and ride in the SE. If you don't like what I say I really don't care my advice wasn't meant for you.

PS you don't realise it but you've actually been arguing with yourself for the last few posts :lol:
  • cooldad
    Perhaps he's got his brother's dementia.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    JGTR wrote:
    He asked advise on what people who live in the SE are riding, I gave advice as I live and ride in the SE. If you don't like what I say I really don't care my advice wasn't meant for you.

PS you don't realise it but you've actually been arguing with yourself for the last few posts :lol:

O.K., whatever.
  • cooldad
    JGTR wrote:
    you've actually been arguing with yourself for the last few posts :lol:

I do that all the time - it's the only way to get a grown up sensible argument.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • steveca
    Many thanks for the entertainment, yes i do have a car so i will be travelling outside the south east so sorry to dissapoint

Im just trying to gauge what bikes everyone is riding as most time will be spent in se but going elsewhere when time allows

not interested in whats best etc
  • cooldad
    I ride the SE and mosty use a 29er, a Trek (Gary Fisher really) Rumblefish, 120mm FS. It copes with everything I ever want to do.

Friends I ride with regularly have Bird Aeris (140mm) various Santa Cruzes (but one guy with two, a Nomad and a 5010), uses the smaller travel almost exclusively.

So I'd say a mid travel FS is ideal, and capable of pretty much all trail centres, excluding DHilly type stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Specialized Camber 29er, 110 mm travel.
  • Angus Young
    I'm SW, Wiltshire, but I can't imagine anything on my doorstep is much different from what's on yours, nothing particularly taxing (which is why I travel for interesting stuff). 134mm FS, in my signature, below. I'm certainly over-biked for my local rides, but I don't mind that so that I have something more suitable for more challenging rides afar.