New smart trainer

troj
troj Posts: 43
Hi, have recently changed jobs and I have lost my cycle to work. My journey was long enough to keep me reasonably fit. I have notice that my weekend riding is starting to suffer. So going to get a direct drive smart trainer for structured training. The things I'm looking for is noise, easy to set up and pack away, the size of the packed away unit, power, campag compatible (though tempted to use an eleven speed shimano cassette) and finally to be able to go on zwift if the weekend riding is rained out. Probably go higher end of the spectrum. After reading and watching DR Rainmaker, Shane Miller and the Titanium geek there doesn't seem to make the choice clear. So looking for real experience on trainer.

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I have a Kickr 2, its big and heavy like all the direct drive trainers but it folds it folds up reasonably compactly and easily. Noise isn't bad, the actual bike drivetrain is the noisiest part (I put an old 10 speed cassette on which probably doesn't help).

I get momentary dropouts occasionally on Zwift, they wouldn't be a problem but it doesn't recover gracefully if you are on a constant incline, I'm stuck at a very low resistance level until the incline changes. I don't know if this is Zwift or the Kickr, powercycling the Kickr has no effect. I am bridging through an iphone and using an 8 year old laptop though!

The cassette position is very slightly different than my wheels, so if you get one, adjust your indexing before splashing out on a Campag hub.
  • troj
    So do you have to index your gears ever time you get on and off or have a turbo bike?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Not a direct drive, but I have the Kickr Snap and bloody love it. So quiet, packs away into a neat little package and so far I've had zero issues with it on Zwift on both BLE and ANT+ setups.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    troj wrote:
    So do you have to index your gears ever time you get on and off or have a turbo bike?

I've not used the bike back on the road yet. Possibly it will be ok, it was only a small adjustment.
  • Would say Neo but Kickr is smaller and easier to pack away if that is important.
  • troj
    The size isn't to important probably a bonus. Setup time pack up time more important. Has anybody got experience with the Cycleops Hammer or the Elite Drivo?
  • troj
    edited January 2017
    One more question. Would I have to do a spin down and or a zero off set every time I move the smart trainer?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    troj wrote:
    One more question. Would I have to do a spin down and or a zero off set every time I more the smart trainer?

No.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Ryan_W wrote:
    troj wrote:
    One more question. Would I have to do a spin down and or a zero off set every time I more the smart trainer?

No.

If you have the kickr or kickr 2 you should do a spin down each time you move it.