Tcr and defy owners

Barry danger
Barry danger Posts: 42
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Is there anyone who owns both a defy and a tcr and could advise on sizing ? I have a ml defy advanced which I feel very comfortable on and am planning on buying a tcr . I'm after a more aggressive bike and am completely confused on which size to buy . I've studied the geometry on both ml and m and just can't decide . I've had up to a 130 mm stem on my defy (no spacers ) and have been comfortable but have settled on a 110 mm due to me realising I'm trying to turn it into a bike it's not , hence me wanting a tcr. I'm new to road biking ( 1 year ) and have read various posts with conflicting advice off experienced riders who say the ml is to long and the medium is too small for somone my size ( 180 cm ,80 cm in seam and just on the ape index) . I can test ride the bikes but they will have to be ordered and sent back and I want to get it right first time so any advice will be greatly received . Cheers .

Comments

• I upgraded from a Medium Defy and just went straight for a Medium TCR Advanced. It worked for me but everyone's different.
  • M/l defy,m/l tcr,m propel here.id say defy and tcr same size,propel 1 size down
  • Thanks a lot , the answers I was hoping for !
  • I went from a Large Defy to a Large Propel which has the same geometry as the TCR.
  • Balazsgal wrote:
    M/l defy,m/l tcr,m propel here.id say defy and tcr same size,propel 1 size down

Interesting that you sized down on the Propel. Was that just to get a more aggressive possession?

I was always of the understanding that the Propel and TCR shared the same geometry?
  • Dan Walton wrote:

I was always of the understanding that the Propel and TCR shared the same geometry?

Same here. :?
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    edited January 2017
    Barry. there are key metrics in comparing the two bikes from Giant and that is stack and more so reach because they are very different bikes in geometry. The Defy is a big old barge, the TCR is a speed boat.

The reach on current a M/L Defy is 38.1 - the defy is slack head angle and steeper seat tube.

The reach on current Medium TCR is 38.3 - the TCR has parallel seat and head angles at 73.

So a medium TCR would fit in reach like a medium large Defy. Yes, it is a 'smaller' frame, but longer in reach by .2cm

The TCR M/L elongates its reach to 39.8 (1.5cm longer - a very long reach bike) which coupled with a change in geo (steeper head tube) in my opinion render a medium large too long and you would constantly fettle the fit. I personally would buy a medium for the reach and understand that the whole bike is physically smaller though a tad longer (gloves vs no gloves) than the defy you currently own though note its is horses for courses. Do't forget that the TCR in all sizes has a shorter head-tube but it sounds like you want a racier bike anyway and buy on reach - don't fall for the smash the saddle forward trap to make a bigger bike smaller - you will throw the whole fit out.

Hope that helps. I bought and ride a M/L TCR - I got it late last summer (sept) and whilst it is a beautiful bike, climbs better than anything I have ridden as super stiff BB but it is slightly long and I will be moving the frame on over the coming month. All about experience of course and you live and learn. Buy a medium. :D

Also it is worth noting that none of the Giant bikes share Geo. It has been muddied by British press citing the propel when released in 2013 as the same geo as a TCR when it is again, a very different bike in fit and feel, and thus sizing. The propel is tall standover or high stack and not realy a compact frame akin to the TCR or Defy with sloping geo but shortish head tube and long reach. All three bikes are different due to angles used.

Nice one !

Pete.
  • Pete , thanks fella . That's kind of the conclusion I drew from looking at the geometry of both over the past couple of weeks then just as I was about to order I'd find a post on ww of somone saying they ride a medium in both etc etc and would be confused again . I think I'm convinced which one to try first now ......
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Medium, no doubt about it.
  • bristolpete
    Pete , thanks fella . That's kind of the conclusion I drew from looking at the geometry of both over the past couple of weeks then just as I was about to order I'd find a post on ww of somone saying they ride a medium in both etc etc and would be confused again . I think I'm convinced which one to try first now ......

No worries.

The issue with the Giant range as I see it is that the geo figures add up, but when you see the bikes in the flesh you convince yourself to buy the alternate size than you should as the TCR in small and medium looks like a diddy bike and the Defy looks massive in ML and above - relative to stack really.

If I were you, I would buy a medium, in the least test ride it if you can if reach is your sole barometer.

I struck gold buying a TCR Adv SL after I sold my Synapse last year. I 'think' it fits, but in reality it does not fit that well and I wish it was a medium - it is literally 1cm too long - sounds idiotic to say 1cm but makes a huge difference. Thankfully I did not break the bank and I will strip and sell when spring/better arrives. Hence being a big advocate of looking at geo, especially Giant which seems slightly out of whack with other new world brands.

Pete.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    As mentioned the tcr has greater reach than the equivalent Defy - however, the equivalent Defy has a greater stack - both figures have to be taken into consideration. Everyones body is different - personally I fit better on the ML on both the TCR and the Defy. Crucially, a 130 mm stem on a slammed ML Defy suggests quite a long reach - by rough calculation that would be equivalent to a 110 mm stem on the ML TCR.
    The best thing to do is see if you can transfer the measurements from your Defy to the TCR - measure saddle height from bottom bracket and saddle tip to the bottom of the hoods for example ( better if the saddle is positioned correctly with regards to the bottom bracket).
  • Letap , do have a fairly long reach and good flexibility but apparantly short stumpy legs since I've took an interest in measuring bits of my body trying to figure out which bike I need . My long reach is what has caused some confusion as I do actually think I could handle the length of the ml but my saddle on my defy is pushed fairly forward to get a good position on the pedals ( this seems common from seeing other people's bikes ....the steep seat angle? ) and on the charts if I were to take an inch off my inseam I'd be a definite m . Also saying I was comfortable with the stem slammed on the medium would this increase the reach as well ? Cheers guys
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I would try and work out your fit properly on your current bike, before buying a new one. Having the saddle pushed forwards sounds strange, especially if you've got short legs and a long torso. Generally, if you've got a long upper body you need to push the saddle rearwards to achieve a balanced fit. 
  • bristolpete
    Letap , do have a fairly long reach and good flexibility but apparantly short stumpy legs since I've took an interest in measuring bits of my body trying to figure out which bike I need . My long reach is what has caused some confusion as I do actually think I could handle the length of the ml but my saddle on my defy is pushed fairly forward to get a good position on the pedals ( this seems common from seeing other people's bikes ....the steep seat angle? ) and on the charts if I were to take an inch off my inseam I'd be a definite m . Also saying I was comfortable with the stem slammed on the medium would this increase the reach as well ? Cheers guys

But don't forget the seat tube angle of the TCR is slacker than Defy where as the Head tube of the defy is slacker than the TCR thus shortening reach on the defy. If the seat tube slacker ergo 73 from 73.5 you will be further behind the bb and in turn need to move the saddle in further forward to get a decent pedal stroke akin to KOPS. Our body proportions sound alike, having always been a short legged rider in relativity to my height. Personally, I understand what Letap is saying about stack but that can be a cheeky way of getting a taller head tube to make the bike fit better. The answer could be a power fit at a giant concept store as in reality you can ride both sizes. If I could I would rebuy medium but I'm not yet at that point as winter too grim to be out on the best bike .... in the least get a test ride / demo or buy my ADV SL Medium large frame for a nice price lol.
  • gin0rm0
    gin0rm0 Posts: 40
    I'm 187cm tall and ride a large TCR with a 110mm stem (recommended size for my height). Top tube length of 58.5cm is spot on but I found I couldn't get it low enough at the front for me due to the tall head tube. Eventually managed to get a -10 degree 110mm Pro stem and deep drop bars and fit is spot on.

You should consider the head tube length as it is hard to get hold of stems with different angles for the 1" 1/4 steerer.
  • Styxd , I've got my saddle set like that so I've got kops then adjusted it slightly where it feels more comfy and powerful and natural. I've read so much Steve hodge etc etc and it's took ages to get it feeling just right ( however a pro bike fitter may laugh at it but I'm pretty sure it's in the ball park ) I did have it set back a lot more but it feels like I'm pedalling from behind if that makes sense ....

Pete , when you mention pushing it forward even more I presume that's the ml not the m ? I do think you are right about the m as when I was looking at the geometry I figured the m would be more suitable and they always say a smaller bike is more easy to fit out than one too large . I'm just going to have to test ride them and see which fits best ....hope you manage to shift your frame as well :wink:
  • bristolpete
    Barry, sorry 24 hours off line. You will need to push the saddle further forwards on the ML as longer top tube and of course to get over the BB.

I went out on my M/L TCR today - a reasonable 30 miles. Such a great bike. I rode past my local Giant dealer and looked in and sat on a medium. They both fit really and like you the situation I face - likely so will you is what you gain in reach on the medium you loose in head tube length thus more drop though a medium at 150 is not 'that' short. Great bikes though and very efficient going uphill which is great for me as a non climber.

Found this Giant PDF another good read.

https://bikebarn.ucdavis.edu/bikebuy/as ... tting1.pdf
  • Hey Pete, no worries . I've spent today with a ruler and have found the search function on another forum which gave me loads of stuff I missed before....I've ordered the medium ! A lot of advice I was taking was about the 2015 tcr where apparantly the ml was a tad shorter and have found quite a few people who upgraded to the 2017 wishing they had sized down due to the longer reach . If I'm wrong then I'll just get the ml . I think I'll be OK with the drop as like I said I'm after a more aggressive fit anyway and will have spacers to play with . You have been such a star in helping me I wish I could buy you a pint :D
  • bristolpete
    Hey Pete, no worries . I've spent today with a ruler and have found the search function on another forum which gave me loads of stuff I missed before....I've ordered the medium ! A lot of advice I was taking was about the 2015 tcr where apparantly the ml was a tad shorter and have found quite a few people who upgraded to the 2017 wishing they had sized down due to the longer reach . If I'm wrong then I'll just get the ml . I think I'll be OK with the drop as like I said I'm after a more aggressive fit anyway and will have spacers to play with . You have been such a star in helping me I wish I could buy you a pint :D

Great - glad to hear it. Let us know how you get on. Which model did you buy ? I Know the head tube on 16 frames onwards 2mm shorter, but seat tube .5 steeper so likely a tad longer cant find reach for 14/15 era frames.

I had a look at the TCR ADV O with new Dura Ace - absolutely stunning but miles out of reach £ wise for me.
  • Tcr advanced 1 ...I'm an ex mtb and only got into road bikes after seeing them with discs :) Can't remember the difference in length but was just over 39 for ml from memory . I ll let you know when I get it ,hopefully by the weekend . Thanks again Pete
  • bristolpete
    Tcr advanced 1 ...I'm an ex mtb and only got into road bikes after seeing them with discs :) Can't remember the difference in length but was just over 39 for ml from memory . I ll let you know when I get it ,hopefully by the weekend . Thanks again Pete

Sweet - awesome bike. Post some pictures in my bike thread when sorted :D
  • Will do . Oh and I'm not sure if I got that top tube sizing from 2015 wrong as I can't find anything about it now ...but at least it pushed me to order :D
  • bristolpete
    Will do . Oh and I'm not sure if I got that top tube sizing from 2015 wrong as I can't find anything about it now ...but at least it pushed me to order :D

Cool. I do think you bought the right bike with a medium. Just in from a steady 23 winter miles here, blowing a gale on the Estuary coming home bit rode up to the cusp of Dartmoor the 'back way' which is short sharp steep climbs and the TCR excels. It really just rides uphill and makes you seek out tough climbs where as other bikes tell you to avoid them- horse for courses. Keep the pedals turning high cadence is what I advise when on a TCR.
  • Cool, can't wait to get get it , you sound like you've had fun . Found that geometry , it's on the Dutch giant site , tt as 39.1 for 2016 but it's ment to be a typo of 2015 geom .