Any 1x11 converters ? Tips much appreciated.

janwal
janwal Posts: 489
edited January 2017 in Workshop
At present have Domane disc winter bike with Ultegra 11 speed and 11-32 cassette which serves me well .I really like the idea Of 1x11 speed like the Boardman cx team.So thinking of trying a conversion with the following which will only cost about £100 So won't break the bank.
Single front chainring
http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/r ... w-wide.htm
Shimano xt 11-40 cassette
Lindarets roadlink converter for rear derailleur to give clearance for larger cassette.
So any converters out there done similar and got any tips for doing such a conversion.Don't ask me why!
I just like to try things.And if it doesn't work out I can sell the cassette on mtb side

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    No tips but I converted a 3x9 1997 Klein to 1x11 .... and love it ... I now want to turn my 2x10 flat bar hybrid into a 1x11 drop bar
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I went 1x10 on my Planet X, 5700 shifter for £55, RaceFace NW chainring £30 and 5700 rear mech £5, 12-28 cassette I already had off the spare rear wheel I had.

This 1x stuff isn't new to me, I had an Apline Stars MTB 1x8 with a Sachs Wavey shifter, Sora rear mech and 42t normal chainring close to 20 years ago.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    3 of my 4 bikes are 1x, not new to me either as my Raleigh 'racer' (road bike now) was 1x3 (later 1x5) back in 1979.

I'd urge some caution on a road bike, the bigger gaps between ratios can sometimes leave you feeling frustrated that neither of two gears is right for the speed you are doing. I use 1x on my commuter but it's running a 12-28 cassette as the commute has predictable gradients and I know that I have sufficient gear spread. Additionally of course part of the weight saving is lost on a road bike as you will very likely keep the same left hand lever and even if you go for a brake only lever the weight saving is smaller than deleting an MTB/flat bar shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I attempted to use a Roadlink with a long cage road RD and 11-40 cassette. The RD plus Roadlink coped with the cassette ok - the problem was that I could no longer drop the rear wheel out of the frame because the roadlink brought the whole derailleur about 1/2" forwards. Even with the tyre completely deflated it was a struggle getting the wheel in and out. After fun and games fixing a roadside rear puncture, I bought a SRAM X9 10-speed RD (shifters were SRAM Force 22, compatible with their 10s MTB RDs) and fitted that instead - although only specced to cope with a 36t sprocket, with the B screw well in it cleared the 40t without any problem.