Which is best breathable and Waterproof Jacket

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking into getting myself a good Breathable and Waterproof Jacket which is easy to pack down and fit into a jersey pocket, but can't decide which one to purchase, I am thinking of either one of these 3:-
Castelli Idro Jacket.
Rapha Pro Team Race Cape
Gore Bike Wear One Active Bike Jacket

Anyone tested or got any recommendations on the above jackets.
Thanks.

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    The rapha is out as its not that breathable and just fits in my back pocket. The castelli use gore wear one so I would say both performance is similar for both jackets. I would pick which ever one I could find cheapest.

If both are the same price I would go with the castelli as I find their fit is better than gore's.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You will get killed in the Gore same colour as tarmac ..
    switching off silly joke mode

a medium for me and its very race cut.. and all the 5* reviews .. its expensive because its expensive.... I never ever managed to save up for a Gore mountain jacket quite a few years back now... they were and are expensive because they truly work.

At end of the day.. get the kit choice wrong and you end up wet... like this morning... BBC said snow and sleet were over at 6am .. lying bastards .. my Castelli winter windproof held up 50 minutes then gave up the ghost.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have the Gore - it's very good - very waterproof and good breatheability. The Castelli version looks more visible.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Rapha Race cape, I like a lot, good for when you go out in the rain, but just about folds up small enough to fit in a pocket, however I'd look at the Endura Pro 260 race cape it's really good and folds up to apple size.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I've a Rapha race cape and an endura pro 260. Much as i love the Rapha cape the endura is a fantastic piece of kit for the cash. It's waterproof and very packable, the Rapha cape pips it on breathability but is thicker. The castelli and gore jackets are the same fabric I believe and both got rave reviews though I've not tried them.
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    I have the Gore, its awesome. Easily fits into the back of a jersey pocket, great waterproofing and very breathable. Managed to get one cheaper (but definitely not cheap!) off Wiggle before Christmas with their discount codes, but would still pay full price for it. The only problem is the colour, its definitely not high vis! Make sure you have a decent set of lights to go with it.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Sanjay wrote:
    I have the Gore, its awesome. Easily fits into the back of a jersey pocket, great waterproofing and very breathable. Managed to get one cheaper (but definitely not cheap!) off Wiggle before Christmas with their discount codes, but would still pay full price for it. The only problem is the colour, its definitely not high vis! Make sure you have a decent set of lights to go with it.

YOu are not going to die because of its colour or its 'ability' to make you invisible... why would not have a good set of lights on at this time f year as a roadie/commuter anyway?
    You've just spent a small fortune ( like me from Wiggle) on a plastic jacket .. of course you have spent another fortune on a light system.
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    It was just my advice, anyone is free to take it or leave it.
  • I've used one of the top-rated Gore jackets. I wasn't impressed. When it bit the dust (bit the Tarmac, more like) it was replaced with an Endura FS260 shell. Much better - more breathable, for one thing. Lighter, smaller for another. With the rise of "all weather" jerseys a shell for the rain is perhaps less important than it was, but if the weather is really filthy I put on the FS260.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've used one of the top-rated Gore jackets. .

The latest One Gore-Tex membrane jacket? With the lifetime guarantee?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I got one of the Galibier Tourmalet when they were selling them for £30 a couple of weeks ago.
    Wore it on a 5 hour 90 mile epic ride through constant rain on Sunday. Was bone dry underneath, and did not feel remotely like overheating at any point.
    I think I will be listing my Gore Oxygen Goretex jacket on eBay shortly as it has now become redundant!