Knees, elbows and ankles

MTBDanno
MTBDanno Posts: 60
edited April 2017 in MTB general
Might be a bit of a stupid question, but do you all wear knee, elbow, ankle protection on every ride?

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I ride trails, xc and up to red runs at Afan/cwm carn

Never worn elbow or Ankle protection

Regularly wear shin/knee protection if I am on the Meta with its stupid flat spikey pedals ... mostly for my own protection from the pedal ... but I only use the meta at places like Cwm Carn .

If I am doing xc/lesser trails then I wear no protection other than a helmet
  • I'll be riding mostly natural trails to begin with, some singletrack. I have never thought about any protection other than gloves and helmet, but reading some of the comments about shin damage.. im considering it.
  • MTBDanno wrote:
    I'll be riding mostly natural trails to begin with, some singletrack. I have never thought about any protection other than gloves and helmet, but reading some of the comments about shin damage.. im considering it.

Same. Can't find a decent MTB guard at present.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wear knee pads if I'm riding particularly tough downhill trails. Any other time I'll just wear an open face xc helmet, gloves and no pads.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Knees, gloves and helmet, always. I crash a lot (I'm rubbish) and not being able to walk for a week is no fun. Can't see why anyone wouldn't wear knee pads - two minutes after setting off I forget I've got them on and I rarely notice them till I get back to the car.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Only wear knee, shin, body + arm protection and full face when riding DH stuff. XC just an XC lid. Gloves always though.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Helmet and gloves.
    Never seen ankle protectors?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Helmet and gloves always. Only wear knee and elbow pads for bike park Wales or other dh type courses. Just started wearing shin/knee guards which are soft, manly for warmth
  • Helmet and gloves always. Only wear knee and elbow pads for bike park Wales or other dh type courses. Just started wearing shin/knee guards which are soft, manly for warmth

I have trail skins, but that's it. I have been looking at the Leatt Airflex pros, as well as 661 shins.

I was going to get Dainese, but I read somewhere for someone they fell apart, so went for Fox Launch Enduros. Probably not one of my wiser decisions...

I have trail skins, but that's it. I have been looking at the Leatt Airflex pros, as well as 661 shins.

I was going to get Dainese, but I read somewhere for someone they fell apart, so went for Fox Launch Enduros. Probably not one of my wiser decisions...

I've got the fox launch pads, think there very good

Trail skins looks like a nice middle ground! Are they good for movement or a bit stiff?
  • MTBDanno wrote:

Trail skins looks like a nice middle ground! Are they good for movement or a bit stiff?

Haven't had any problems yet. I'm just worried they won't hold up to much when I need proper protection. They're just for stopping grazes, really. I got them in red, so they suit my look that I'm going for.
  • Great for every day riding and very moveable but if your going to do some dh stuff like at. Ike park Wales then proper pads are advised.
  • gloves / mits always, occasionally glasses (mainly in summer for bugs) and rarely a lid :( (bit silly as I know I should but I'm only ever on canals, paths, cycle routes etc...)
  • gloves / mits always, occasionally glasses (mainly in summer for bugs) and rarely a lid :( (bit silly as I know I should but I'm only ever on canals, paths, cycle routes etc...)

Always protect your head. It's the weakest most important part of your body. Tripping up and hitting your head is enough to cause some serious issues. Cycling anywhere without a helmet really isn't clever.
  • Nope. Just gloves and will probably pick up a helmet for gnarlier rides.
  • knee and elbow pads, I'm old...wont mend as quickly.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Never heard of ankle protectors.

Normal wear is gloves/mitts and helmet. Always wear a helmet even if just popping down the road to the shops. A fractured skull is not very nice and modern helmets are light, comfy and affordable.

For trail riding I wear knee pads (and glasses if it's mucky).
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Angus Young
    A few people here think their hands are more important than their brains...
  • cooldad

Ayone here remember the 'walking' game?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:

Ayone here remember the 'walking' game?

The 'walking' game?
  • cooldad
    Mentally replace the l in walking with an n. Used to play it in Crudcatcher. Hands are crucial.

For example, I love a brisk walk in the morning.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    Mentally replace the l in walking with an n.

To my shame that's exactly what I did, but thought, nah, that can't be it.
  • vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    I regularly wear my ixs flow knee guards when doing more technical stuff and cannot fault them, I went OTB a couple of weeks ago, knees were saved but unfortunately I'm double jointed in my elbows, and as I put my hands down they pretty much doubled back on themselves which now leaves me unable to bend them properly and hence not able to ride a bike for a few weeks :(

MY doctor has suggested using some sort of neoprene elbow sleeve to help prevent any unnecessary hyperextension in future, but I thought I might as well get an elbow pad on it as well, so any suggestions on a lightweight elbow pad, I'm thinking along the lines of the raceface charge, but am unsure if it's strong enough to help hold the arm in place?

Any advice would be brilliant, cheers!
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152

...well certainly a lot more useful in my case.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • I bought 7 idp pads for my knees and elbows, they are massive and offer loads of protection, I wore them at bike park Wales and when I crashed they obviously helped, but I won't wear them again.
    They are far to cumbersome for me, the knees pads rubbed and kept needing to be pulled up, no matter how tight I did them (too tight and they hurt at the back of the knee)
    The elbow pads were bulky, but a bit more comfortable. I couldn't get my jacket on over the top with them though.

I think I'll invest in some trail skins instead

I got the 7 idp due to the best reviews and the chain reaction sales
  • musclebeach
    musclebeach Posts: 116
    Not wearing a helmet is straight up stupid in my books, heard recently of a lady coming off her town bike, hit her head....died from bleed on the brain.
    Nobody expects they're going to fall off but when you do at least you're head's safe as it can be....no matter what speed you're doing!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I wear kneepads 99% of the time off road. But almost all of my roads are fast trail centre stuff at cannock, not especially gnarly, but a decent chance of hurting myself if I come off. I need to cycle to work in Brum too, so my knees are important to me.

Gloves and glasses 100% of the time, elbow pads maybe 50% and always if I'm going somewhere I don't know.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cooldad
    I've never worn pads, but had an OTB last month that hurt (still does in places) and gouged a hole in my knee. Didn't bother with the doc until it was too late so still trying to grow the hole closed a month later.

I finally bought knee and elbow pads, but knee is still too sore to wear them. Off to the Lake District and Scotland next month so will test them out, hopefully just riding, not crashing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I've not worn pads, but that's largely because I tend to ride general xc, not anything approaching extreme terrain. Mitts / gloves and a lid (in reverse order, priority-wise!) always.
    Most of my falls are rather soft, the most spectacular being a forward cartwheel, the biggest injury being a severely bruised ego.