Torx sheared off - Any suggestions?

Beansontoast
Beansontoast Posts: 75
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi radar-people,

My torx-T10 has sheared off, and left the tip stuck in the nut on my my rear-brake housing (see pic).

Two questions -

1) Any suggestions for removing the bit which is stuck in there

2) Assuming I end up damaging the housing, what components might I need to replace?

That picture is slightly deceiving, and what bit of metal was sticking out has long gone (I did try to remove).

These are Avid juicy 4's.

2z3uedz.jpg

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    When I've broken torx bits like that in the past I've just tapped them gently with a hammer and small screwdriver to loosen the broken bit and they've just fallen out.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I think the Tork bit is still stuck in the bolt but there is nothing left to get grips on.

I'd get a sharp mini chisel or punch and remove the bolt that way and fit a new bolt.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That looks like a bolt holding the caliper together. Why would you want to take it out?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    That looks like a bolt holding the caliper together. Why would you want to take it out?

Its the bleed screw\ bleed nut. Gotta take it out to bleed.

(the top nut, not the lower one).
  • Ok - thanks everyone.

I'll grab a punch and a small chisel and see how I go on.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    If it's just broke off won't some grips or piers pull it out, as you'll have a bit of it to grab on to?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I think he's already tried that and now has nothing to grip on to
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:

Its the bleed screw\ bleed nut. Gotta take it out to bleed.

(the top nut, not the lower one).

Right, I see. Bugger.

We have had a few people manage to split their calipers trying to remove them, which is even more of a bugger.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Juicys are pretty poor brakes.
    If funds allow you may as well buy a new set of brakes (Deore, for example) and bin the Avids. It will be a lot less hassle in the long term.
    Merlin are selling Deore M615 for £110 a set.

UPDATE: They are also selling SLX M675 for the same price.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009