Buying Clipless Road Bike Shoes

cruiser98
cruiser98 Posts: 10
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hey there guys, was looking at the Shimano R321B Tour De France edition on Ebay cos i couldnt find any other sites carrying it.P.s they're all US sellers
Heres the links:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-SH-R321 ... I#shpCntId
www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-SH-R321B-Carbo ... SwnHZYdBV4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-SH-R321 ... SwjDZYdBO4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-SH-321B ... Swo4pYMIwx
Would it be possible that there are counterfeit versions of these ? or would it be more probable that these are legitimate as its a limited edition ?
Also any recommendations on shoe sizing, i usually wear size 43 shoes so should i get the same size ?
Many thanks guys!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    No comment on whether there could be counterfeits around. Anything is possible - that's the risk you take buying from Ebay.

In terms of sizing, the Shimano shoes fit small. I recently got some of the (standard) 321s in size 47. I'm a Uk size 10.5 or 11 so usually looking for 45 or 46.
  • MrB123 wrote:
    No comment on whether there could be counterfeits around. Anything is possible - that's the risk you take buying from Ebay.

In terms of sizing, the Shimano shoes fit small. I recently got some of the (standard) 321s in size 47. I'm a Uk size 10.5 or 11 so usually looking for 45 or 46.
    Just curious, how do you like the R321s ? Would you happen to know if the shoe size would be same across the range ? cos i tried the Shimano R065 clipless shoes when i went for fitting and a 43 was good
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why are you set on that shoe ? If you arent 100% sure they suit you or if they are your size I'd not be buying from the States.
    Oh - unless you are from the US - in which case you have my deepest sympathy.

Fit is foremost for your contact points so I'd be going to a shop and buying a shoe from there that's comfy. Its not a bargain having uncomfy shoes.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    cruiser98 wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Just curious, how do you like the R321s ? Would you happen to know if the shoe size would be same across the range ? cos i tried the Shimano R065 clipless shoes when i went for fitting and a 43 was good

I can't give an opinion yet on the performance of the R321s as I got them for Christmas and they'll not be getting used until my summer bike comes out to play in the Spring (I use different pedals on my winter bike and hence have different shoes). They are lovely looking shoes though - very light and well made and seem a nice fit.

The fit seems consistent with the other Shimano shoes I own, i.e. consistently small. I also have some RT82s (one of their touring models) which I use with SPDs on my winter bike. They are a size 47 as well which is a good fit, just generous enough to allow me to wear thick Woolie Boolie socks.

The 321s are replacing some older RO87s which were a size 46 and I think never quite big enough for me.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Get some of the bargain Sidi shoes on eBay at the moment
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Is Ebay Reliable though, Not sure about fakes. Any experience ?
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    cruiser98 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Bought some Sidi Eagles from CRC for £100 in the sale. Saw the same shoe on Ebay for £75 (half rrp). Sent the CRC shoes back and ordered from Ebay. Arrived on time and are defo genuine comparing with the CRC shoes.

Bought from xpedia-outlet.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cruiser98 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Have you not used Ebay before? Sellers have individual feedback ratings. If they were selling fake goods, someone will have probably mentioned it on the feedback.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Imposter wrote:
    cruiser98 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Have you not used Ebay before? Sellers have individual feedback ratings. If they were selling fake goods, someone will have probably mentioned it on the feedback.

Not if none can tell if the good is fake.

Brother brought a Nike Jordan and it was fake but no other reviewers recognised the fake. The seller happily took back the shoe for a refund after it was pointed out to him it was a fake.

Don't assume the general public can always tell the difference between fake or genuine.

But even Amazon you get fakes so you need a bit of luck. I once bought those botton cell batteries for cheap and wrote a review to alarm others and guess what? Amazon deleted the post. I don't ever buy those cheap batteries from amazon anymore. I bought the battery for the garmin speed sensor. After a week the speed sensor died. I never thought it would be the battery since I just changed it. I called garmin and got a replacement under warranty and later found out the item is fine but it was the battery that was fake.
  • I'll echo what everyone else has said. I'm a UK9 in all regular footwear (shoes and trainers) which is a EU43, I think my wellies might be a UK10.

My current Shimano R088 shoes are a EU45 wide and are a tiny bit small, I grabbed a pair of R171's in a EU46 from Amazon in the sale but they were too big! I'm now pinning my hopes on some RC7's in a EU45.5 when they arrive...

It's very strange that you can read reviews on some of the retail websites and people say that they fit true to the size, I've not found that to be the case at all, so good luck finding shoes that fit!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    solboy10 wrote:
    cruiser98 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:

Bought some Sidi Eagles from CRC for £100 in the sale. Saw the same shoe on Ebay for £75 (half rrp). Sent the CRC shoes back and ordered from Ebay. Arrived on time and are defo genuine comparing with the CRC shoes.

Bought from xpedia-outlet.

My wife got some Eagles from xpedia on ebay around 18 months ago. If they are fakes then they are bloody good ones and are hardly showing any sign of wear. They are a big outlet having thousands of items for sale and very good feedback scores
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I bought my Fizik R3bs off eBay.
    Albeit from Sigmasport though.
  • Dan Walton wrote:
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. I'm a UK9 in all regular footwear (shoes and trainers) which is a EU43, I think my wellies might be a UK10.

My current Shimano R088 shoes are a EU45 wide and are a tiny bit small, I grabbed a pair of R171's in a EU46 from Amazon in the sale but they were too big! I'm now pinning my hopes on some RC7's in a EU45.5 when they arrive...

It's very strange that you can read reviews on some of the retail websites and people say that they fit true to the size, I've not found that to be the case at all, so good luck finding shoes that fit!
    Many thanks guys, seems like i'm in a similar situation, usually wear 43 but 44/45 seem to fit better .
    Thanks Again !