What made you start cycling?

2»

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    My older brother got a mountain bike when I was about 11, it was cool so I started riding my fully ridged around woods and quarries with my friends. Most of my mates gave up but I was obsessed (partly because I had spent 2 years doing a paper round for a proper bike whereas my mate's parents spend hundreds on theirs and they were already bored by the time I got mine) so I stuck at it and stayed pretty deeply into mountain biking to this day. Now nearly all the people I know are from riding bikes, doing season/summer trips and racing. I'm completely addicted to the feeling of riding bikes down hills fast and couldn't give up if I tried.

For road cycling it's been more of a recent gradual thing, I saw it as good training for mtb, my brother (again) and a uni mate gave me a fair bit of pressure. I don't have any riding friends up here so I find strava motivates me for both types of riding, along with being dragged out touring or multi day rides which I need to be fit for. After a bit of time I've found I genuinely enjoy it so now I have more options for the weekend/holidays

Another motivator for me is that if I don't ride for over a week or two I start to feel dreadful, the mtb leaves me feeling great and the road bike is starting to get there
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    started riding bikes from the age of 3, lived in the middle of nowhere back then, so bikes were just part of life growing up if you wanted to get anywhere or meet friends and we would just cycle everywhere, though you never really thought about the distances involved, that carried on to mid teens when college/life got in the way for abit. Wasnt till late 90s started to slowly get back into it as a way to try to keep fit & lose weight I was piling on, my knees have always been a bit ropey due to various sports injuries, so high impact sports are no good for me anymore,had tried swimming for a while but never really liked it(its the swimming past someones elastoplast that puts you off) as much as I had always liked riding my bike (its free Im by myself and all I can hear is the wind and the rain)

So bought a hybrid BSO with the intention of using it to commute, but the poorly chosen knobbly off road tyres that went with it made it really really difficult to ride comfortably so it didnt really kick on again much at first till I discovered you could actually change the tyres,rather than the whole bike :) fitted some better rolling road tyres and I was off again, and been slowly building up the miles ever since.

Now been a fairly regularly cycle commuter for the past 10 years, will never be a full time commuter I dont think,but fit in as much as I can. And now have more cycle kit than I can shake a stick at, and then achieved n+1 as I added a proper road bike to my collection which I save for the weekend leisure rides and replaced my aged hybrid BSO for a more upto date decent hybrid to commute with.

it sounds twee I know but its the one thing I do thats guaranteed to make me de-stress,clear my mind and feel good about things,those exercise endorphins are great :) and I really feel it when I cant ride, Im alot calmer and relaxed as a result of riding than I am when I dont.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    So,
    After not really doing any exercise for a long time and quitting smoking (20/day) back in July 2007 (when I was 45) I started putting on weight for the first time.
    By Christmas I thought I'd better do something and got a Halfords MTB. Started with a few miles and next thing I know my 2 boys (11 and 13 at the time) wanted to come with me.......and we gradually started doing more....and more...
    Today I race road and cyclo cross and still do some MTB riding, my older boy (now 22) is an elite MTB rider and has raced for GB at both cross and MTB and my younger boy ( now 22) is a strong 2nd cat road racer.
    Been a life changing decision getting into cycling for me :D
  • Like a lot of people on here I rode everywhere as a kid/teen and kept it going when I moved to London for my first job, commuting from Bayswater to Brick Lane every day. I also used to run, and had done martial arts of one stripe or another (mostly Tae Kwon Do) since I was at Uni. But when kids started arriving, I just sort of gave it all up, and the pounds started arriving as well. By the time I was 45 I was 95kg (I'm 5'9") and not in particularly good nick. My youngest started junior karate that year, and I decided to go back for 'fun' - man, did that hurt.... I stuck with it for a couple of years but wasn't shifting a lot of weight. I had a rusty old BSO in my shed that I started riding, and though the first few short rides were painful, I really got bitten by the bug and started riding more and more.

I bought a Felt QX75 hybrid and started commuting, then got into road bikes in a big way (via the usual clipless toppling hilarity) and have never looked back. 2010 was the year I passed my Black Belt aged 48, the same year I rode LEJOG in 8 days. Since then I've ridden over 5,000 miles every year, and have taken part in some fantastic rides. Highlight so far has been the Vatternrundan in 2014, but I'm doing the Mallorca 312 this year and have done a few belters here in the UK, not least of which was Cav's Rise Above event in 2015.

I now weigh 70kg (still work to do there) and ride most days (last year I was on the bike for a total of 305 days in one shape or form). I genuinely believe cycling has saved my life, and it's wonderful to see it go from the pastime of the fringe lunatic to something that's entered the public consciousness big style. Can't imagine ever not owning N+1 bikes... :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I started riding as a child in the early 70s and never stopped apart from a few months in basic training in the RAF when it wasn't possible. I hear nowadays the forces have 'discovered' cycling and in the RAF at least, you're permitted to go on a training ride as part of regular Phys Ed sessions if one of the PTIs is with you.

Cycling is just something I do and have always done, way more cyclists around now than there's ever been, to my eyes.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    I was born with a weird neurological thing, which adversely affected my ability to walk properly. The left and right sides of my body were permanently out of sync, so I couldn't crawl, and later walk in a straight line. It was a bit like being permanently punch drunk. My old man was a doctor, and he had a plan so cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox. He had noticed that when I rode my little bike ( which I got when I was 3 years old) the problem didn't seem to be there. I could ride in a straight line, but not walk in a straight line. He therefore had me ride my bike just about everywhere that most kids would normally walk. By the time I was starting 'infant school' at about 5 years old, the neuro imbalance thing had sorted itself out, and I could just about walk properly. However, I was so used to cycling everywhere, I pretty much did, rather than walk, wherever possible. And even to this day, the bike comes first, other modes of transportation take a back seat.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I did a lot of cycling up to 25 yrs of age and then just stopped. What started me again was going to work in the car at random times on the A120 between Chelmsford and Stansted I saw a girl cycling in the opposite direction every day and in all weathers for years. I was so impressed that I took up biking again with a vengence and now live by the Thetford Forest and am in it every day - in all weathers.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    I was born with a weird neurological thing, which adversely affected my ability to walk properly. The left and right sides of my body were permanently out of sync, so I couldn't crawl, and later walk in a straight line. It was a bit like being permanently punch drunk. My old man was a doctor, and he had a plan so cunning, you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox. He had noticed that when I rode my little bike ( which I got when I was 3 years old) the problem didn't seem to be there. I could ride in a straight line, but not walk in a straight line. He therefore had me ride my bike just about everywhere that most kids would normally walk. By the time I was starting 'infant school' at about 5 years old, the neuro imbalance thing had sorted itself out, and I could just about walk properly. However, I was so used to cycling everywhere, I pretty much did, rather than walk, wherever possible. And even to this day, the bike comes first, other modes of transportation take a back seat.

This is a great story.
  • The missus came home unexpectedly one day and caught me shaving my legs.
    "Why are you shaving your legs"?
    "Cos I'm a cyclist"
    "But you haven't got a bike"
    "I will have in the morning duck"

The reality of it is, twenty years ago my footballing exploits came to an end and as I have always done sports I had to find something. I sold my extensive collection of vinyl records and purchased a mountain bike, Bob's ya uncle.
    After a couple of years I saw the light and came over to the road, though I still do off road.
    It's taken me twenty years to get as crap as I am.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I have ridden bikes on and off for years. I'm terrible for getting into it for a few months, then leaving the bikes to gather dust for a while before getting back into it. I remember owning a red Raleigh Racer and a pink and white Raleigh mountain bike as a kid. I also had an Activator 2, which I think is still in my parent's garage.

To cut a long story short, a back injury (prolapsed disc) flared up in 2015, about 6 months after our daughter was born. I saw a surgeon, he said my back was knackered and I needed to lose some weight and get fitter or I would suffer. At that point, I was nearly 18 stone (64ft 4in tall) and had a big belly. I got back on the bike for a month in 2015, then had some depression issues which meant that I didn't touch it until June last year.

My fiancée filmed me walking along our driveway with our daughter. When I saw the film, I realised that I looked quite fat and needed to do something about my weight. I wanted to be fit for our daughter and wanted to help my back as much as possible.

I bought a Raleigh Misceo 1.0 from the local bike shop, and rode it a lot last year from June to September. I managed to drop off nearly a stone and a half in weight. I felt better and had a bit of zing for a change.

Unfortunately, the depression (due to work) set in again in September and I finally managed to drag myself back onto the bike on 31st December 2016. I dug out my old Bianchi ML3 Alu (which has never been ridden outdoors), hooked that up to a turbo I bought from Halfords, dug out the Misceo and began riding again.

Since the last day of 2016, I've been doing turbo trainer sessions alongside rides outdoors on the Misceo. I'm glad that I have the turbo as the Misceo is currently throwing a lot of issues at me. Good for me as I'm learning about bike mechanics. Pain in the ass though when you plan to ride, go out to the bike and find a problem. I also think that I need an upgrade as I'm doing 20 odd mile rides on the Misceo and it isn't really geared up for that. It weighs a tonne and has fat tyres. It's helping me get stronger and fitter though.

I managed to put around half a stone back on leading up to Christmas and in the last three weeks, I've just about dropped that off. I've invested in some lights, a proper base layer for the first time (I can't believe I've never had one before), some proper winter kit and get out on the bike or turbo at least four times a week, even when it's dark.

I'm still suffering with mental health issues because of work. However, I find that I can deal with them better when I've been cycling. Also, my back is wrecked and could go at any time. However, since I got back on the bike last June, it's given me a lot less grief.

Here's to keeping at it this time, losing some more weight and getting a lot fitter. :)
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    When I was in my early teens I got my first proper bike (it was proper to me) It was a Puch Pursuit 5spd bike and I rode it thousands of miles over the following 8 or 9 years. I then moved to Dublin in my early 20's and bought a Townsend hybrid and used that to commute every day (approx. 3 miles each way) and the odd longer spin at the weekends. I left Dublin in 1997 and forgot about cycling for 13 years during which time I gained a few stone in weight and generally became very very unfit. I changed jobs in 2010 where I was desk bound and became even more unfit. I decided I needed to start some form of exercise and so in 2011 bought a bike a Ridley Compact on the BTW scheme. My first cycle on it was 14km and I nearly died at the end of it, I was so so unfit but I didn't give up and went out fairly regularly and gradually became fitter. I then decided a year or so later I needed a carbon bike and bought a Felt F5 and started doing longer distances. I fitted mudguards and lights on the Ridley and kept it as a wet/winter bike so was now cycling all year round. Then last year I decided I needed a MTB too andn bought a Cube LTD Race 29er and absolutely love it and now no weather will keep me indoors. I've lost almost 3 stone and now am in the position where I don't want to loose any more weight for fear of becoming too thin!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    benws1 wrote:
    I'm still suffering with mental health issues because of work. However, I find that I can deal with them better when I've been cycling. Also, my back is wrecked and could go at any time. However, since I got back on the bike last June, it's given me a lot less grief.

Here's to keeping at it this time, losing some more weight and getting a lot fitter. :)

Good luck and long may it continue. Depression, bad back and weight. You sound like me!

I suffer recurrent bouts of depression, no idea why, and when it's really bad I struggle to get out on the bike. But if I do manage to fight it and get out there it's the most therapeutic thing I can do. The world can seem a frightening and overwhelming place, and depression can make me just want to curl up under the duvet and stay there, but once I'm on the bike it's suddenly different. It's the one thing in life where I feel in control; I can go as fast or slow as I like, wherever and whenever I choose. I can go flat out until my legs and lungs burn, or I can take it easy, admire the scenery, stop for a coffee or a picnic. And if There's a problem with the bike I have the ability to fix it and carry on, which only adds to the feeling of self worth. And when I get back from a ride I feel like the kid in the old Ready Brek commercials; a kind of orange glow around me.

I also had a slipped disc in my 40s and it's never been properly right since. But my back is also a lot better the more I cycle. I still start to get muscle spasms sometimes if for some reason I've not been on the bike for a while.

And finally weight. Maybe because of depression I comfort eat, or maybe it's just because I'm a greedy pig, but each January I tended to record a new PB as far as weight was concerned. After 50 regardless of how much riding I did it was becoming harder and harder to shift, and skimmed milk and salad wasn't helping my mental state. Then I discovered 5:2 Two days a week I eat just 600 cals, the other 5 days I eat what I like. I dropped 18 pounds pretty quickly (might not sound much but I'm only 5'6"; it was 11% of my bodyweight) and now I'm on it more or less all the time with the exception of the Christmas period when I pig out. I'm also persuaded that the intermittent fasting is likely to be having some other health benefits.

I'll be 60 this year, and knackered knees aside, I'm the fittest I've been for 30 years.

Stick at it!
  • benws1
    Thanks. That does sound like me. I'm 37 and 6ft 4 though. I'm the fittest I've been for about 14 years.

Crazy how depression works, isn't it. It does affect my cycling. But, as you say, once I'm on the bike and out it's the most wonderful therapy. I also seem to be able to process a lot mentally when on the bike.

I'm currently learning how to fix things on bikes. When I can fix something and it works, it makes everything seem sweeter. :)
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    benws1 wrote:
    I have ridden bikes on and off for years. I'm terrible for getting into it for a few months, then leaving the bikes to gather dust for a while before getting back into it. I remember owning a red Raleigh Racer and a pink and white Raleigh mountain bike as a kid. I also had an Activator 2, which I think is still in my parent's garage.

To cut a long story short, a back injury (prolapsed disc) flared up in 2015, about 6 months after our daughter was born. I saw a surgeon, he said my back was knackered and I needed to lose some weight and get fitter or I would suffer. At that point, I was nearly 18 stone (64ft 4in tall) and had a big belly. I got back on the bike for a month in 2015, then had some depression issues which meant that I didn't touch it until June last year.

My fiancée filmed me walking along our driveway with our daughter. When I saw the film, I realised that I looked quite fat and needed to do something about my weight. I wanted to be fit for our daughter and wanted to help my back as much as possible.

I bought a Raleigh Misceo 1.0 from the local bike shop, and rode it a lot last year from June to September. I managed to drop off nearly a stone and a half in weight. I felt better and had a bit of zing for a change.

Unfortunately, the depression (due to work) set in again in September and I finally managed to drag myself back onto the bike on 31st December 2016. I dug out my old Bianchi ML3 Alu (which has never been ridden outdoors), hooked that up to a turbo I bought from Halfords, dug out the Misceo and began riding again.

Since the last day of 2016, I've been doing turbo trainer sessions alongside rides outdoors on the Misceo. I'm glad that I have the turbo as the Misceo is currently throwing a lot of issues at me. Good for me as I'm learning about bike mechanics. Pain in the ass though when you plan to ride, go out to the bike and find a problem. I also think that I need an upgrade as I'm doing 20 odd mile rides on the Misceo and it isn't really geared up for that. It weighs a tonne and has fat tyres. It's helping me get stronger and fitter though.

I managed to put around half a stone back on leading up to Christmas and in the last three weeks, I've just about dropped that off. I've invested in some lights, a proper base layer for the first time (I can't believe I've never had one before), some proper winter kit and get out on the bike or turbo at least four times a week, even when it's dark.

It's amazing how many people I talk to, who, like you, decided to get cycling because they only realised that they had got out of shape, because of what they saw in a picture or video of themselves. Well done, and keep at it.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    benws1 wrote:
    I'm currently learning how to fix things on bikes. When I can fix something and it works, it makes everything seem sweeter. :)
    Very frustrating when it goes wrong though. My advice on that thing would be to try not to carry out repairs on your bike when there is time pressure or you're tired. Either of those will increase the chances of making mistakes, then you get annoyed and increase the chances of making a mistake. Fettling a bike when you have time to do it properly and not rush is very therapeutic though, especially if someone delivers a mug of tea part way through. If things don't go right, step back and make yourself a cup of tea before going back and looking at it afresh. Save the beer for when you've finished.
  • benws1
    Veronese68 wrote:
    benws1 wrote:
    Very frustrating when it goes wrong though. My advice on that thing would be to try not to carry out repairs on your bike when there is time pressure or you're tired. Either of those will increase the chances of making mistakes, then you get annoyed and increase the chances of making a mistake. Fettling a bike when you have time to do it properly and not rush is very therapeutic though, especially if someone delivers a mug of tea part way through. If things don't go right, step back and make yourself a cup of tea before going back and looking at it afresh. Save the beer for when you've finished.

I'm fortunate that I have a road bike attached to a turbo trainer and my Raleigh Misceo hybrid. I have options if one breaks (like the Misceo has done a lot, lately). I've done the tired thing though and agree with everything you say. Being in the garage late at night on a winter evening whilst tired isn't the best. I'm guilty of doing this two weeks ago when trying to fix my Misceo wheel hub.

I have an older Raleigh hybrid that I have nearly finished building back up. It's got a slightly grindy headset, but that is most probably because I didn't replace it when I rebuilt it. I also have an older Coppi road bike that has cracked wheels, buggered gears and needs a complete overhaul. I don't have any time pressures on the latter two bikes. :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    benws1 wrote:

It's amazing how many people I talk to, who, like you, decided to get cycling because they only realised that they had got out of shape, because of what they saw in a picture or video of themselves. Well done, and keep at it.
    It should almost be available on the NHS. Mental and physical health issues addressed with significant results, all for a few hundred quid per patient.

Oh, and get the right tools. I've made quite a few problems worse by trying to make do withsomething that wasn't meant for the job.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • benws1
    I spend well on my tools. It's fortunate for me that I'm boring and I don't spend much money on other things. :)

I sold my car around 4 months ago as I walk to work. My main hobby is bikes. My fiancée is not materialistic, so she doesn't ask for anything. My daughter is only 2 1/2, so she is fine with toys everyone else gets her and visits to the park etc. Despite being the only worker in the house, it does leave me with some spare cash for bike things.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

That's me too that is. 3 years ago, company conference in November in Tenerife. (Those were the days; this year we were in York!) Anyway, on our activity day I chose the mountain biking around Mt Teide, resplendent in my road kit. When the photos appeared later I thought 'who's that short fat bloke in lycra there?' Then I realised it was me :oops:
    So with Christmas out of the way I embraced 5:2 and dropped 18 pounds. One of our sons hadn't seen me for a couple of months, and said I looked like a little boy! Praise indeed.
  • I started in June last year. Before I had been going to the gym to try to help get in better shape and get the blood pressure below 120 and that other number.

Lifting weights was not doing it. For cardio, I hate indoor machines. Outdoors, I pretty much despise running.

I asked to borrow the in-laws dusty old Trek. Started in the neighborhood. Took it to the local greenway and went a little further. Then a little further.

Now a ride is too short if it's under 25 miles and I've lost 15 lbs. Can't lose any more without losing muscle.

The exercise need started it, the personal challenge to try that climb or new distance was what has made it go on.

I also like the tech of having a machine involved in the sport instead of just some shoes. Just the way I am.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Very few cars around when i was a nipper. Everyone had bikes and i used to whizz off with my mates and come back when we were hungry. I wasnt a particularly athletic youth being the wheezy kid who couldnt do cross country. I was inspired by the first london marathon so took up running. This became my passion for many years to the point of obsession and i became pretty good, winning loads of age category awards in races.

Then in 2011 i suddenly became bored and demotivated so gave up running and took up cycling. And the rest as they say is history. Since then, ive done about 30,000 miles and had many excellent adventures. Being a later starter i was never going to set the world on fire but again i am recapturing that long lost youth and enjoying the freedom.

Having to endure a unplanned hiatus after coming off on black ice and damaging my hip to the point where a total replacement was the only viable option. Currently at the 5 week point and hoping to get back via some light turbo training fairly soon. But if i never ride again i can say that i have had a heck of a lot of fun out of cycling in my lifetime
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Having to endure a unplanned hiatus after coming off on black ice and damaging my hip to the point where a total replacement was the only viable option. Currently at the 5 week point and hoping to get back via some light turbo training fairly soon.
    Good luck, hope it heals well for you.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Mikey23 wrote:

Having to endure a unplanned hiatus after coming off on black ice and damaging my hip to the point where a total replacement was the only viable option. Currently at the 5 week point and hoping to get back via some light turbo training fairly soon. But if i never ride again i can say that i have had a heck of a lot of fun out of cycling in my lifetime
    Best of luck with your recovery
  • Cycled on a variety of cranky road bikes to get round as a kid and a student.

Got into mountain biking in the mid 90s as something to between finishing on-water rowing and being able to afford my own rowing machine at home. Did this for 7 years or so, as it was a great form of exercise that lends itself much more to mixed ability groups than road riding. Did a few MTB orienteering events with Mrs W&G. If you can survive f***ing up the navigation to the extent you get disqualified for being over an hour late back to check in, you can survive anything as a married couple!

Stopped biking in the early 2000s due to completing rowing machine purchase and then acquiring children. Damaged back once too often in 2008 whilst rowing and got into road cycling again in response to a drunken challenge from a friend: "We can ride up Alpe D'Huex faster than Sheryl Crowe". This I did in the summer of 2009, on a 13kg Specialised Rockhopper, albeit with a rigid fork and 1.5 inch slicks. (1 hour 17 minutes, for the record.)

Graduated to the Marmotte in 2011 on a hybrid - back not really up for a drop-bar bike in those days - and thence to further Marmottes in 2012 and 2013, in the latter of which I acted as super-domestique to Mrs W&G when she bagged her gold medal.

Then did 2 seasons of road racing, without really troubling the scorers. Now into triathlon (as it's easier to fit the training round the kids' sporting activities) and downhill mountain biking with elder daughter!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Like most, I had a few bikes as a child. Raleigh Chopper (Mk1), Grifter and then a "racer" with 5 (count 'em) gears :shock: . A gang of us used to go out all day, every day in the school holidays, without so much as a can of pop or mars bar. I'm old enough to have done this during the legendary summer of '76 :D
    When the "racer" got taken from my possession, I only had a couple of years before my first car, it would be another 10 years before I got another bike. A '97 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp.
    A few years round the local clifftops and old quarry, and I gave it to my niece, who still has it
    F/FWD to the summer of 2012, and I got another MTB, another Spesh, with the same intentions as the last one.....didn't really happen.
    Then my mate asked if I fancied doing the 2013 Great North Bike Ride - about 70 miles from Seahouses to Tynemouth. My first thought was "f**k me, do ordinary people really ride that far for fun?"
    So I started communting as part of the training, and in May bought a Synapse, much much better. That bike lasted 18 months of every day use, and was stolen on my 50th birthday. :cry: This was replaced with a CAADX, that I've now had for 2 1/2 years, and is my first choice for getting to work. Currently around 3,000 miles P/A

Never did get round to doing the GNBR though :lol:
  • Andy9964 wrote:
    A '97 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp.

I had one of those. Cracking bike. Mine serves as my turbo bike these days.