If it were your money what would you do? Help!

chamma
chamma Posts: 8
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Ok....new to the forum. I started cycling last summer and fell in love. Bought a Motobacane Vent Noir off Craingslist= first road bike.

Now looking to upgrade and I'm DROWNING in data and options. Open to real help and direction so here is what I'm after:

-105 minimum
-Carbon (actually lighter not just after carbon to say I have carbon)
-I'm all about speed.....but looking to do a century this summer but speed over all else... hee hee
-under 2000.00 dollars.

So far I've found 2016 Giant Adv 2 and a 2016 Norco Tactic at my local shops that are 1500.00 each. What would you say between the two????...both 105 & carbon frames
I'm not above ordering off bikesdirect or other online places but it is just overwhelming.

Thanks for your help and glad to be here!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    CAAD12.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    For the same money and spec I'm going to be looking at the Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport (2017)
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If It were my 1500 quid I'd spend it on booze and women

I already have a bike so what you want from me?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Well from the two you mentioned I will take the Giant Adv 2.
  • chamma
    Grill wrote:
    CAAD12.
    I'll check them out thanks!
  • chamma
    Dannbodge wrote:
    For the same money and spec I'm going to be looking at the Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport (2017)

Ok I'll check one out.....I looked online and they seem nice! Thanks for the input!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    chamma wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    CAAD12.

You do know that's an aloominum frame don't you? A very good one, but it's not carbon...
  • Recent Propel ADV 2 purchased here. I love it.

I cross shopped in that price range a deeply discounted Supersix Evo, an Emonda, an S2, and a Venge. I could not justify at my skill level the cost difference of the S2 or Venge for a very similarly capable bike.

I was between the Supersix and the Propel. I wasn't going to be allowed a test ride on the Supersix longer than putzing around the parking lot. The Propel they let me put a few miles on.

People make a big deal out of riding an aero bike with the stem high for an endurance ride, but who cares. It takes what, 5 minutes tops to move the spacers around?

I'd buy a Propel or a Supersix in your instance.
  • keef66
    You in the USA? Trek Domane if you want the comfort of the isospeed decoupler thing, or if you want really light, Emonda. Might not get 105 for your $2k but the frame's the important thing.
  • Grill
    keef66 wrote:
    chamma wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    CAAD12.

You do know that's an aloominum frame don't you? A very good one, but it's not carbon...

And yet it's lighter than half of them and rides better and is cheaper than most. Plus horizontal top tubes are sexy.
  • keef66
    Grill wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    chamma wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    CAAD12.

And yet it's lighter than half of them and rides better and is cheaper than most. Plus horizontal top tubes are sexy.

I agree with you on all those points, but he said he wanted carbon.

If I was looking for a fast road bike I'd certainly consider a CAAD12
  • Grill
    keef66 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    chamma wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    CAAD12.

It may not be the bike he wants, but it's the bike he needs. :P
  • chamma
    Grill wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    chamma wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    CAAD12.

It may not be the bike he wants, but it's the bike he needs. :P

I know I said carbon BUT I looked at a CAAD12 yesterday and GOOD LORD that thing is a rocket! DEFINITALY A CONTENDER! The thing is crazy light for my price range! I'm loving the input!
  • chamma
    keef66 wrote:
    You in the USA? Trek Domane if you want the comfort of the isospeed decoupler thing, or if you want really light, Emonda. Might not get 105 for your $2k but the frame's the important thing.
    I'll check tem out...thanks and yes I'm in Michigan.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    keef66 wrote:
    This.
    Components wear and will be replaced/upgraded anyway. I got my dream bike (components excepted) 9 years ago. The only parts remaining are the frame and forks. It is now what I wanted but couldn't originally justify. :P
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chamma
    Kestrel Talon 105 Road??? Thoughts?

PBlakeney wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    This.
    Components wear and will be replaced/upgraded anyway. I got my dream bike (components excepted) 9 years ago. The only parts remaining are the frame and forks. It is now what I wanted but couldn't originally justify. :P
  • chamma
    I found a Specialized Tarmac 105 too. $1400.00. Maybe I'm spinning my wheels at this point since the Giant TCR adv 2 and the Tarmac are so close. I might be down to thee prettiest. That goes to the specialized. They threw the tarmac on the scale and as it sits it's at 19lbs.