3 Season Waterproof gloves

hsiaolc
hsiaolc Posts: 492
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Any of you can recommend truly 2 season waterproof gloves for temp between 5C-15C.

Normally I don't ride in rain storm but yesterday didn't have much choice with the tube strike.

On the way home I ran into heavy rain and my Rapha leather gloves (supposedly weather proof) instantly got soaked which was surprising and upsetting.

I have also the Castilli deep winter gloves and it is great but it was too hot for yesterday so my question is what would you recommend a warm waterproof and windproof gloves that's for 5C to 15C for Autumn and Spring.

Comments

• If it's really wet, I use C-Skins latex-dipped neoprene watersports gloves. Your hands wont stay dry, but they'll be warm...
  • It's hard to recommend as everyone is different in terms of temperature resistance. I hardly feel the cold, these are what I wear in winter:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/seal ... lsrc=aw.ds

I think for most they would be fine up to around 15C.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I also use the Seal Skinz, they are probably the most waterproof gloves I've used. The only downside is that I don't find them particularly warm. In constant full on rain they do eventually give and the water gets through, but it takes a long time for that to happen in my experience.
    I would say that anything from +5 would be fine, anything colder and I would want warmer gloves.
    I'm not a fan of neoprene gloves, when they get soaked they feel like I have Kenny Everett foam hands on.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Gloves in 15 degrees ?

I'd try the Primera wooly gloves with the rubberised grip. Cheap and good for spring/ autumn days and mild winter.

Not waterproof but you'd be as sweaty as anything anyway if its 15 degrees.

I think i have 8 pairs of gloves for various conditions....

(note to self. Stop buying gloves)
  • Waterproof gloves are totally pointless. If you want warm hands in wet conditions wear neoprene of various thickness depending on the temp.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    If it's really wet, I use C-Skins latex-dipped neoprene watersports gloves. Your hands wont stay dry, but they'll be warm...

This, I have the DHB neoprene's and they are excellent.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • w00dster wrote:
    I also use the Seal Skinz, they are probably the most waterproof gloves I've used. The only downside is that I don't find them particularly warm. In constant full on rain they do eventually give and the water gets through, but it takes a long time for that to happen in my experience.
    I would say that anything from +5 would be fine, anything colder and I would want warmer gloves.
    I'm not a fan of neoprene gloves, when they get soaked they feel like I have Kenny Everett foam hands on.

This is always the issue I find with trying to recommend clothes. Those sealskin gloves basically do me until it's too cold to ride on the road and I switch to the trails.

They do let water in, if you fill them with water it'll run out, but yes, it takes ages and I don't think water has actually got through them yet, even in the storms we have been having in Glasgow recently.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    As others have intimated, totally waterproof gloves just don't work. Try wearing plastic bags on your hands and you will soon find that, irrespective of the temp, they soon become really uncomfortable and wet as human hands sweat a lot, particularly if putting the hammer down because all that sweat has to go somewhere. Gloves can be very personal because fit makes a huge difference and our hands seem to vary greatly.

I have also found that deep winter gloves take ages to dry so they are no good for several rides within a few days or anything like commuting.

Personally, I wear long finger windproof gloves (Endura Dexters) at this time of year. If I know it is going to be wet and very cold then I will go for winter long finger gloves (like the Endura Deluge or DHB Winter). Anything warmer than 10 degrees and it is mitts, irrespective of date and/or rain.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Been using a pair of Endura Stikes for the past few years cannot fault them, pretty water proof, warm and if it is super cold I bung a pair of liners to keep them toasty.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Thanks guys.

True it is a personal thing but waterproof is waterproof.

I have Rapha Deep Winter and they are pretty decent. Castili Deep winter better than Rapha but can't wear both when it is over 7C.

I have SealSkin and I use them to open Oyesters - weaterproof but totally useless on the bike as the chill just freezes your hands so not sure whats the point of waterproofing when your hands feel frozen at 8C.

Then the Rapha leather town glovers - which I thought were weather proof but far from it. I had a pair of timberland gloves (not for cycling) and I can dip them in water and still be dry so I was expecting more from leather.

Then I have Asos winter glove - those were a joke I worn once and the seems came undone at the palm so I only used them once and in the cupboard.

I also have Phew gloves - very nice for 2 season gloves but not waterproof at all.

I think 15C I normally wear short fingered but I would assume in the rain I would want to wear long fingered gloves.

I see some cyclists wear short bibs (or shorts) and t shirt and with no gloves in 0C, I do admire them but I am not and wish not to emulate them.

Instead of buying more gloves (I have a lot that I haven't mentioned) to try them out with trial and error, I would like to see what you guys wear in cold and rainy weather.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Neoprene, diver style gloves in cold,wet weather.

You want waterproof gloves at 15 degrees? Why?