Splitting/rejoining chain with KMC missing link

mwinder
mwinder Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm planning to switch to a single chainring. To remove the front mech I'll need to split the chain (Shimano HG54). I've bought some KMC Missing Links intending to rejoin the chain with one. When spliting the chain is it best to go for the connecting pin (has a flat rather than dimpled surface, correct?) and replace that with the missing link or just one of the regular pins?

Matt

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would remove the connecting pin, as presumably that would be the weakest link.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any old pin you like!

the connecting pin may be marginally weaker (how old is the chain?) but clearly seems to be working so far!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Unless it's a fairly new chain I would suggest replacing it if you are putting a new ring on.
  • It's fairly new - only got the bike in September
  • do you have to split the chain to remove the front mech ??

i know you can do the rear mech normally without by just removing the jocky wheels & i always assumed ( probably incorrectly ) that the front mech could also be added/removed without a chain split by removing the screw often found in the lower inside corner of the chain guiding section ( might just be there on my cheaper mechs though & not a more expensive units )

-- edit/addition --

OK, just done a quick google image search & i am wrong, MANY new mechs dont have that screw any longer, rivet or weld there instead so please ignore my rambling above
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shimano say you should split a chain anywhere except the pin used to join it.

You'll have to drive out 2 adjacent pins so you have an inner link at each end of the chain in order to use the KMC link.

But before doing anything, check that the chain didn't come with a Missing Link already installed...
  • At 3 months old, depending on how much and what kind of riding, I'd be considering a new chain. I'd at least check the wear on it.

Otherwise, do like keef66 says.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    keef66 wrote:
    Shimano say you should split a chain anywhere except the pin used to join it.
    That's because Shimano only say you should using a joining pin, so you don't want to keep pushing pins in the same links, when using a powerlink it's not relevant, all of which is obvious really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Push out the connecting pin if you're intending to use a master link. It's the only pin that's different from all the others.
    Think the same way as if you were putting a new chain on - you're not going to randomly add the connecting pin somewhere and then also use a quick connection link. You're going to throw that pin far into outer space and only use the connecting link.

Oh and buy a chain stretch measuring tool if you don't have it already. The basic ones will cost a fingernail and they're the first thing you should buy when you start doing your own maintenance and repairs.