Whyte or........?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
Currently have a 29" Specialized Camber which I love for XC and epic rides, I'm looking for a 27.5 trail specific bike for trail centres and light DH. I demoed a Whyte T130-s and loved it - light front end, descends well and very nimble. Before I pull the trigger I wondered what other bikes are worth looking at? £2k - £3k budget.

I like the Transition Scout but getting decent spec is a bit out of my price range.

The new Canyon Spectral AL 7 EX looks awesome spec for the money, £3k for Pikes and 1x12 but will it feel as nimble and descend as well as the Whyte?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers

Jay

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bird Aeris, 145 or 120 depending on what you want. Local guys and you deal directly with the owners, so any hassles and you can hit/abuse them.

https://www.bird.bike/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    cooldad wrote:
    Bird Aeris, 145 or 120 depending on what you want. Local guys and you deal directly with the owners, so any hassles and you can hit/abuse them.

https://www.bird.bike/

Interesting......great spec for the money, and I get to build it myself!!
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Though the Canyon gets top marks from every test I've seen and great value, the issues of backup and contact knock the icing off the cake.

The Bird would be my choice as long as you can wait a couple of months.

You could have a look at this, can build to your spec and great value plus it's a man in a shed you can talk to.

https://www.airdropbikes.com/products/airdrop-edit-pro
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • JGTR
    Cheers, Airdrop looks nice but spec isn't great, mist others at the £3k mark have Pikes and 1 x 12
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Whyte is a superb bike, I absolutely love mine! The bird's look great value but I can't help but think thwy've taken the long, low and slack thing a little too far, crazy to think I know but having gone from super tanker-length Mondraker to the tighter Whyte I've enjoyed it a lot more. The wheelbase on the bird is pretty long, definitely Mondraker-esque so i'd be worried it might feel a bit of a plow bike even the 120 model.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Whyte is very good. Transition Scout is excellent but you won't get a decent spec in your budget.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    JGTR wrote:
    Currently have a 29" Specialized Camber which I love for XC and epic rides, I'm looking for a 27.5 trail specific bike for trail centres and light DH. I demoed a Whyte T130-s and loved it - light front end, descends well and very nimble. Before I pull the trigger I wondered what other bikes are worth looking at? £2k - £3k budget.

I like the Transition Scout but getting decent spec is a bit out of my price range.

The new Canyon Spectral AL 7 EX looks awesome spec for the money, £3k for Pikes and 1x12 but will it feel as nimble and descend as well as the Whyte?

Any other recommendations?

Cheers

Jay

Whatever you feel is best .... :D
    As a Whyte T-130 owner ...

Who knows when the Canyon might arrive?
    Bird looks good and you get to choose more... which had I ridden one and had I bought new might have pushed me to the bird...

My Whyte has had the cranks changed as I needed shorter cranks.previous owner had put on Shimano M780 rear mech SLX shifter and I ripped off the front mech ... (Nothing wrong with the SRAM IMHO but I had M785 cranks in 170 so.... )

and the brakes changed as I don't want to run two bleedkits/pads and the front shifter is now i-spec B... and changed the rest of the drive-chain

I also went from 1x10 (40 expander) to 1x11 (42) and frankly waste of money for me.

However .... I love the frame geometry and even on the 2015 pre-Yari it handles most of what is thrown at it and still feels like the bike I demo'd and thought "must have"!

To me a bike I tried is a better bet than one that might be better I haven't ....
  • JGTR
    I will hopefully try the Bird, if only because I can get a demo for £10 @ Swinley and it saves me having to transport my current bike there. The Whyte was an amazing bike compared to my 29er for trail riding and it will always be too much bike for my skill level but for the money I'd like something a bit more less common.

I'll probably go for the Whyte as I know th bike......I'm tempted to wait until the 2018 model comes out as I'd expect there will be 1 x 12 in my price range.
  • JGTR
    Next question.....is the RS much better than the S??
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Personally I would stick with the S, unless you can jump up to the carbon RS which is now a grand more than the alloy RS I think the S is the best value in the range. Very glad I got mine pre-brexit as it's £400 more now :shock:
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have a Scout and love it,but the Whyte T130 would of probably been my next option,then a Giant Trance
  • Steve-XcT
    JGTR wrote:
    I will hopefully try the Bird, if only because I can get a demo for £10 @ Swinley and it saves me having to transport my current bike there. The Whyte was an amazing bike compared to my 29er for trail riding and it will always be too much bike for my skill level but for the money I'd like something a bit more less common.

I'll probably go for the Whyte as I know th bike......I'm tempted to wait until the 2018 model comes out as I'd expect there will be 1 x 12 in my price range.
    Or view the drivechain as items you will need to change anyway...
    If you buy now then you will be changing the chain and possibly cassette by the time there is a X12 anyway or not far off..

In terms of £/value the 1x10-1x11 didn't really work much for me anyway... 1x11 for me means more expensive (and last less time/miles) chains and instead of just changing the expander ring I now need to change a whole cassette...

If you planned you could easily try both back-to-back on the same day.... do the hire/demo from Bird and spend less than the price of a chain to hire a T-130 from the bike hub at Swinley...
  • Have you considered this: I think it's one of the bargains of this year. The spec is very good and you'll probably get it for £2700 at most bike shops or only.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/105360 ... 0wod3G0F4w
  • JGTR
    Think it's between the Bird and the Whyte, I don't need or want a long travel bike, I want a mid travel lively bike for trails, I don't jump or do big drop offs (too old/wussy)
  • Steve-XcT
    JGTR wrote:
    Think it's between the Bird and the Whyte, I don't need or want a long travel bike, I want a mid travel lively bike for trails, I don't jump or do big drop offs (too old/wussy)

I wouldn't buy a bike again without a proper test.... given you can test both the same day I'd make the decision on what feels good for you.

Components you can always change.... but the geometry is what it is with only a few tweaks being realistic.

In my experience you can tell if it feels right in 10 minutes but it's taken me longer to convince myself something that didn't but seemed like a good deal wasn't
  • JGTR
    Steve-XcT wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

I wouldn't buy a bike again without a proper test.... given you can test both the same day I'd make the decision on what feels good for you.

Components you can always change.... but the geometry is what it is with only a few tweaks being realistic.

In my experience you can tell if it feels right in 10 minutes but it's taken me longer to convince myself something that didn't but seemed like a good deal wasn't

I've ridden the Whyte, it's felt right, but it's the only modern geo bike I've ridden so would like to compare against the Bird, plus the Bird is a bit less common and nice t have something a bit different sometimes :D
  • Steve-XcT
    JGTR wrote:
    Steve-XcT wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

I've ridden the Whyte, it's felt right, but it's the only modern geo bike I've ridden so would like to compare against the Bird, plus the Bird is a bit less common and nice t have something a bit different sometimes :D

Oh agreed .... but I rode quite a few mainly when I've hired and some just didn't feel right for me when compared to the Whyte... (including the new Marin ... ) but I'm sure they feel right for someone... just not me :D

Even the basic Whyte hardtails somehow feel right.... for my height, leg length etc. but say I had long legs and short body (opposite) I might have found the Marin's felt more right for me.

If I was you I'd try the Bird for a tenner ... and hire the Whyte same day... (I don't know how competitive Swinley are for buying but they offer the same money back if you buy) .... For me I was buying used off ebay but it was still worth paying £30 quid before I bought... if you're buying new then I'd say even more worth it... even if you bought elsewhere and don't get the £30 back... or you might try the Bird and think wow.even better or even if its the same you'll know your getting a bike that feels right for you.