Noise while pedaling.

Shrohith
Shrohith Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I bought a new mountain bike with Shimano gear system. While pedaling I can hear a metal rubbing noise. Pedaling harder makes it worse. I am not able to pinpoint the cause. I have recorded the noise. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I am new to biking so excuse me for my biking language :P

https://clyp.it/2d3tatzn

Comments

• it cud be disc brakes if your bike has them try spining your wheels and see if its there
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Try and isolate the noise as when moving or when pedalling and moving and that will point to wheels or drivetrain noise. As you have not found it then - obviously - you have not picked it up. So look again at BB, frame / tyre and even the cable ends - see if they are rubbing. As trigger suggests - get the bike upside down and spin the wheels looking carefully for touch points with the brakes and check that the wheels are seated correctly - as the bike is new out the box it may that they have not been put on correctly in to the drop outs. DO NOT do this at the end of the runway at Heathrow or Anchorage as you may get run over by an airbus or carry out any maintenance on a railway line as that too may be dangerous.

I have nominated your recording for a Grammy.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks for the quick response. It was indeed the disc brakes, rear one in particular. Noise felt like it was coming from drive train.

Thanks for the Grammy :P