Secondhand bike £200

Wburke
Wburke Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I am new to this so please be gentle with me if I say something stupid.

I have always had mountain bikes even though I only ever do road biking, so I am selling my mountain and wanting a road. Realistically I only have £200 and I know any new bike for that kind of money is going to be heavy and no good (have done some research first)

So I am looking at the secondhand market. Does anyone have any advice on a secondhand bike that I coule get for roughly £200. I know it won't be a top end bike (far from it) just something for the occasional bike ride to get my fitness up.

Thanks and sorry if this is on the forum elsewhere, I couldn'5 fine it.

Will

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Have a look for a Btwin, something like the 500 or 520. Great reviews and they look good too.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Find the size you need first, try other peoples bikes to get a good idea. If you don't mind being brazen, go into a shop and try out different sizes. This is far the most important thing, beyond groupset, wheels etc.

Once you know this, start checking eBay and the likes. Be patient, and be flexible. Bargains crop up because people don't know the brand or the auction finishes at the wrong time or it's a triple or has canti brakes or there is some other unfashionable thing. Be prepared to do maintenance work like changing bar tape, cables, chains and brake pads, and factor this into the price you'll be prepared to pay.

The bike I ride the most at the moment is the Spesh Langster I bought on eBay for £100. I looked for months before I found it, most were going for double what I paid. I've changed all of the running gear over time, but all on a shoestring - Wiggle Lifeline costs peanuts.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Something like this in the classified section of this forum

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13074736

Slightly above your budget but could be worth a haggle if the size suits
  • Where about's are you based and how big are you?
  • Wburke
    Wburke Posts: 3
    Height wise I am 5ft7 and live in Nottinghamshire. Thanks for the suggestions.