Ebay bike - Witchcraft? Frame repair

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Apologies if it's in the wrong section;

Perusing the ads as you do while looking for another bike for the fleet, I've seen this. It appears to be a normal 2011 Lapierre Zesty 314 at first glance, but looking closer, where the top tube meets the seat tube looks all wrong. It's missing the strength triangle weld. Frame repair perhaps? Avoid?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

A normal 2011 Zesty 314...

LapierreZesty3142011-justhome01Medium.jpg

Comments

• I think the top tube/seat tube joint depended on the frame size, I've seen a few like the one in the first post.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, its only there on larger frames as a simple google image search would have shown!

Still never let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory! Like where the top tube is in relation to the back tyre or how the removal from the top tube is so clean despite the paintwork clearly being original.

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/sear ... r2=piv-web

Quite common with top tube mounted pivots as they have to be in the same place across a range of frame sizes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gobs
    I had searched Google before posting, specifying small frame etc, obviously just not stringently enough. Thanks :D
  • The Rookie
    Maybe you should change your avatar again, you seem to have inhereted some of flash's characteristics!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Obviously it is not an Orange painted up as a zesty because the welding is too good.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    Obviously it is not an Orange painted up as a zesty because the welding is too good.

And it doesn't look like it was made in an Soviet Union factory in Ukraine during the Cold War.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Were you employed in one of those factories?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    Were you employed in one of those factories?
    You think I was churning out geared bikes for the bourgeoisie while the proletariat triumphed on a fixed gear by the strength of their muscles?! I'm insulted!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a 26" wheeled Zesty. If it hasn't already broken then it will soon.
  • Gobs
    I thought it was only the carbon ones that suffered frame cracks? I'm torn between a 2011 Zesty as above or a Boardman FS Pro (2016) for my partners first full susser. Basically we want a decent all rounder for all day riding at trail centres et al.
  • The Rookie
    No, the alloy crackieres lived up to the name as well, a mate had the rear triangle fail on his.

There are lots of competent trail bikes available, what sort of budget, clearly you are not adverse to a decent quality pre-loved bike.
  • Gobs
    I better get checking over my Spicy (516) now with a fine tooth comb. I've had it from new in '09 and I'm careful with it but still...

Budget wise for her I'm thinking £1200, however we've only had her Boardman HT Comp 3 months and she already wants a full susser as she finds its ride harsh. It is, far harsher than my Carrera Fury which I can't put my finger on. She's also not the most balanced on a bike yet so I was thinking an older bike until she learns the ropes more. The other part of me thinks the Boardman FS Pro at £1100 is too good an opportunity to miss. It needs to be light and climb well, but also fairly upright for confidence on the descents.
  • The Rookie
    Careful with Boardman, a friend weighed one at Halfords and it came in 1.5Kg over the claimed weight (ok 300g of that could be down to the pedals).

In your position I'd consider a frame option and building it up.

Have you a larger volume tyre with less pressure?
  • Gobs
    With parts scavanged from the HT Comp or starting afresh?

Tyre wise it's on the stock 2.25 Rapid Rob's still. I've experimented with everything from 25-60psi and it just feels quite tiring overall. I'm not sure how much difference the bar or frame makes to things but it's harsher than all other hardtails I've ridden. Strange. I do have a set of 2.3 Conti Gravity I could try.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    For that budget have a look at some of the Giant full sussers. There are quite a few sales on for 2016 models.
    e.g. Liv Lust 2 for £1150 or the Intrigue 2 for £1200 if you want more bounce. Both from Paul's Cycles.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    Gobs wrote:
    With parts scavanged from the HT Comp or starting afresh?
    I'd work out what gave the best bike for the lowest price!

Using parts from the existing bike would obviously be cheaper, and if you picked up a decent used frame from for circa £300 by the time it was complete it shouldn't cost you more than about another £100 on top (cables, seatpost/shim as appropriate etc), obviously a lot depends on the gearing you want to use but you could build it 1x9 to save weight and get the Sunrace wide range cassette for it (plus NW ring), or get the Trott MTB and use everything off that for new forks and drivetrain and finishing kit etc, complete bike on that same £300 frame would then be about £800 but lots of it new and you'd have the HT to sell.

Have you tried a small diameter post and shim to try and soften the ride, can work really well.
  • Gobs
    Thanks. Very helpful. I haven't heard of the shim/post mod, I'll search the forum for info.

JBA, the Intrigue 2 over the 2016 Boardman FS Pro?
  • I don't know what size you're after, might have missed it, but there is a 16" 120 stereo pro on CRC for 1299:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod154605
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Gobs wrote:
    Thanks. Very helpful. I haven't heard of the shim/post mod, I'll search the forum for info.

JBA, the Intrigue 2 over the 2016 Boardman FS Pro?

Yes. The rear suspension on the Giants is excellent and that would make me choose the Intrigue.

However, it's not my choice. Your partner really needs to test ride a few bikes to see how they fit and feel.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009