Fort William DH champs - advice

musclebeach
musclebeach Posts: 116
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Hiya,

Off to the Champs this year for a few days, obviously found a few campsites nearby but does anyone recommend one or two specifically where they've stayed. Close to the track, decent atmosphere etc... never been so don't know if the hype is just when you get there or whether there will be some good camps full of keen spectators/racers!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are some camp sites around there which don't take all male groups during the DH world cup so worth phoning around to check.
    A lot of places book up very early.
    If you're planning an alpine riding trip I'd combine that with watching a European round of the world cup. Much more likely to get decent weather.
  • Thanks Matey, i'm going with the gf and a mate so that'll be alright. Maybe i'm taking her just so we're not classed as all male ;)
    Yes been told to get booking early so looking now and just thought i'd ask for some advice, thank you
  • rockmonkeysc
    Be prepared for miserable weather.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On a clear day you can see its raining.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You won't need sun screen. Midge repellent will be useful though.
  • musclebeach
    musclebeach Posts: 116
    Cheers for this! I've been told to eat marmite in the morning for breakfast.......it'll keep the midgies at bay.....and probably keep the lass at arms length too :lol:
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Be prepared for all conditions, I went a couple of years ago and it was freezing up at the top out of the woods but almost shorts and t shirt weather down in the woods. A walking stick of some description might not be a bad shout as well as walking boots, there's no proper path higher up in the woods and it can get properly shitty.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Cheers for this! I've been told to eat marmite in the morning for breakfast.......it'll keep the midgies at bay.....and probably keep the lass at arms length too :lol:

I think I'd rather be eaten alive by midges than spend a day with the taste of Marmite in my mouth. They're not daft, those midges. :)
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

I've needed sun screen every time I've been the FW
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    POAH wrote:

I've needed sun screen every time I've been the FW
    Last year, many were only saved from sunburnt necks by their cardboard Peaty mask!!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp