C2W bike advice for brother - under £1k and Edinburgh Bike co op

barry_badrinath
barry_badrinath Posts: 154
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello All!

My younger bro is looking to get his road biking going again, after his first bike was cruelly stolen after only a few months about a year ago. He's restricted to Edinburgh bike co-op and budget of a grand (bike to work scheme), so the choice isn't amazing. What would you pick from here? https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/bicycl ... e=299-1000

I think the Cannondale Synapse is best bet in terms of bang for buck.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• What size would he need? There are lots of sale options. Also, what kind of riding is he looking to do? Just commute, club riding, sportives, racing etc?
  • barry_badrinath
    barry_badrinath Posts: 154
    edited January 2017
    What size would he need? There are lots of sale options. Also, what kind of riding is he looking to do? Just commute, club riding, sportives, racing etc?
    He's just over 6 foot, so would say 56-58cm? I think initially it will be leisure riding at the weekend, commuting once he gets more confidence and potentially sportives and beyond if he really gets the bug.
  • Are you riding in Scotland? If the large fitted him I'd have this:

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/genesi ... 10-16.html

I ride an 853 Volare in the West of Scotland and it just soaks up the road. If I ever replace it an Equilibrium Disc would be top of my list.

Otherwise something like the Defy 2 disc, large would fit him I think, is a great bike:

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/giant-defy-2-16.html
  • Are you riding in Scotland? If the large fitted him I'd have this:

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/genesi ... 10-16.html

I ride an 853 Volare in the West of Scotland and it just soaks up the road. If I ever replace it an Equilibrium Disc would be top of my list.

Otherwise something like the Defy 2 disc, large would fit him I think, is a great bike:

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/giant-defy-2-16.html
    Cheers for that. Yeah, we're in Edinburgh. I had the Giant on the shortlist, but wasn't sure about the Genesis as did look pretty heavy - you notice that much?
  • My Volare is lighter, but still fairly heavy compared to my club mates bikes. Honestly, unless he's wanting to race or is desperate to ride as fast as possible I would think it'll make very little difference. I can easily keep up with all but the quickest people in my club and I'm willing to bet that even on a carbon bike with deep rim wheels they'd still drop me.

I do most of my riding on a steel fixed wheel and I can even keep up with most on that. I think too much is made of bike weight these days and I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of weight for the comfort of a good steel frame. That bike would make a brilliant sportive/audax/4 season bike and if he really gets into it and wants a "fast" bike it's likely he's going to want to dump 3+k on a full carbon thing anyway.

As always, best if he can try it, especially for fit.
  • Cheers bud - will pass this on to him.
  • No worries. Hopefully others can chime in too, I do have a bias for steel :)
  • I think the Cannondale Synapse is best bet in terms of bang for buck.

I bought that exact bike from EBC last autumn on the cycle to work scheme for commuting and winter club rides. Rare to get hydraulic disc brakes under a grand. Done almost 1000km now and its been excellent on the whole. The discs have been a revelation, the drivetrain has been faultless and it's a comfier bike than I anticipated. Niggles? The stock wheels and tyres were a little disappointing so I swapped them out for better (but I'd likely not have noticed if i had nothing to compare it to) and the front mudguard stays have needed regular fettling - refitting immediately with loctite blue on all the threads would be a good call. Saddle didn't suit me for long outings, but your brother might get on fine with it. Colour scheme isn't as outlandish in real life as it looks online. It's a good all-round modern road bike.

Regards, EEM.
  • I think the Cannondale Synapse is best bet in terms of bang for buck.

I bought that exact bike from EBC last autumn on the cycle to work scheme for commuting and winter club rides. Rare to get hydraulic disc brakes under a grand. Done almost 1000km now and its been excellent on the whole. The discs have been a revelation, the drivetrain has been faultless and it's a comfier bike than I anticipated. Niggles? The stock wheels and tyres were a little disappointing so I swapped them out for better (but I'd likely not have noticed if i had nothing to compare it to) and the front mudguard stays have needed regular fettling - refitting immediately with loctite blue on all the threads would be a good call. Saddle didn't suit me for long outings, but your brother might get on fine with it. Colour scheme isn't as outlandish in real life as it looks online. It's a good all-round modern road bike.

Regards, EEM.
    Cheers for this - that's the Cannondale, Genesis and one of the Giants on the shortlist. Is a shame the Super 6 is only in a small size.
  • If you're in Edinburgh, choose whatever's got the fattest tyres & most bomb-proof wheels! Seriously - might want to look at some CX bikes around the right price range - bonus will be mudguard clearance if he wants to commute on it.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If you're in Edinburgh, choose whatever's got the fattest tyres & most bomb-proof wheels! Seriously - might want to look at some CX bikes around the right price range - bonus will be mudguard clearance if he wants to commute on it.

This.

I was in last Friday and they had had a couple of Whyte something or other in there. GBP 999 with hydraulic 105.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Supersix Evo EVERY. DAY. OF. THE. WEEK!

One of the most iconic, most tours won, best bike ever made.

I'm 183cm (just over 6ft) and ride a 56cm with a 110mm stem.

EDIT: CAADX 105 would also be a great option.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Yeah the roads are shite here eh - I blame the trams! I'm not sure if the Super 6 is available in his size to be fair - lovely bike though.