Orro Oxygen - Mudguards

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
My wife has the Orro Oxygen - she has a winter bike too, but doesn't really like riding it - and it's on the turbo - which I use as well - so time to investigate mudguards for the Orro.

I put a 28mm tyre on the back (25 on the front as it wouldn't take 28!) - intended for TdFlanders last year - which has stayed on - but means minimal clearance - especially under the brake caliper and down towards the bottom bracket.
The bike has no fixing points for mudguards at all - it's intended as a road race bike ...
I know my crud roadrace Mk2 won't fit - not least because of the 28mm tyre - so I'm looking for something sensible.
Ultimately I could remove the 28mm tyre and refit a 25mm

Whatever goes on has to come off easily as the bike is transported in the boot of the car when we drop our son off with grandparents before going riding.

Two have come up on my radar - SKS Raceblade Long and LifeLine Narrow Road Clip-On Mudguard - any thoughts/experience on how much clearance the raceblades need under the calipers or how easily either set remove/fit ?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not go for the SKS Raceblade Pros/XL? They work well and are not so prone to clearance issues.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Raceblade Pros or XL seem to be the same as the Lifeline ones ... except double the price?
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Thing is with the (new) Raceblade Pros you get a really good range of adjustment as both the length and the angle of the stays is adjustable, so you can pretty much fit to fit most tyre sizes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-raceblade-pro/

The only problem with them is there is no coverage over the front wheel beyond the fork (so water gets thrown up at the front) or coverage for the seatpost. But they are much better than none at all.

The Crudracers Mk3 claim to fit up to 35mm - I have them on a disc frame, and they are okay, a little wobbly but do the job better than the Raceblade Pros, as they have far more coverage (although are a little short at the back, so not great for those riding behind).

http://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/