Muguards for 27.5" wheels

theslowone
theslowone Posts: 57
edited January 2017 in The workshop
My wife has recently bought a bike for gentle rides with me and the kids (Carrera Axel). She is happy with the bike but has asked about mudguards.
She doesn't want clip on style MTB guards and as this bike will be mainly used for cycle paths, tow paths and easy forest trails I think I have to agree with her.
However it seems that all full chrome plastic guards seem to come in either 26" or 700c sizes.
Question:
Given that 27.5" = 698.5mm will a 700c guard fit if I can find one wide enough? or does anybody know where I can get full guards to fit.
Many Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can't see the tyre size in the spec, but its pretty sure to me that a 26" mudguard will accommodate the extra 1/2" nominal radius of a 27.5 wheel and tyre, especially as the hybrid tyre is probably close to that smaller than a typical 2.25" MTB tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That's a good point.
    I have a 26 wheeled hard tail at home and also a 700c road bike. I think when I get back tonight I will run the tape over both and see how they compare in terms of radius.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just look here
    http://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math
    A 700c with a 25mm tyre is pretty much identical to a 26" MTB with a 2.25" tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Usually fit SKS Beavertails to Axels/Subways