Specialized Sequoia

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Stumbled across this today. Seems to tick a lot of boxes for an adventure bike especially being steel. Does anyone have one or does anyone have any experience of riding one? I can feel the urge......

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV279834

Comments

• Yup, got mine last week. Went for the base model in more agreeable black, which came in well under 900 with bit of a deal. Set up as tubeless, otherwise left alone. Have a Tarmac so wanted a winter bike that wasn't just an endurance geometry rosd bike with big tyres. Totally fit for purpose and feels bombproof. Rode 20 miles to my local mtb trail, then went around it!
    Will use it as winter hack, then for long 100k dartmoor rides in the summer.
    Its not slow or fast anywhere.. basically it's a diesel.
  • bmxboy10
    Cheers for responding. Seems we are have a lot in common as I also have a Tarmac and was considering the Sequoia for the same use as you. Also think the black one looks better I just wish it had hydro brakes.

How do you find the fork? Does the steel fork make it heavy? Also how are the TRP brakes?
  • The fork is carbon
    left the forum March 2023
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    The fork is carbon

You have to spend £1500 on the Elite and upwards to get the carbon fork, the base model at £950 has a steel fork.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • If the fancy Expert version weighs the best part of 11kg, it is fair to assume the basic model will weigh the best part of 13kg. The obvious competitor is the Croix de Fer.

I have owned a Croix de Fer and used it for a bit of everything, from off road to the hilliest of sportives. As above, it does everything, but nothing very well and the sheer weight of the thing resulted in me developing knee problems, which (in case you doubt) have pretty much disappeared the day I sold it.

With smaller gears, they can make decent worldwide tourers... ideal to cycle in Pakistan or Alaska, although I wouldn't choose fancy things like thru axle to go in places where they might not know what it is, likewise hydro brakes.

For a stroll in the local woods at speed there are lighter bikes which are more fun... for a ride to the pub there are cheaper bikes which are less appealing to thieves... for a road ride there are faster, lighter bikes.

The point of heavy duty steel is that if you load it on the back a pick up van and it falls while you drive at 50 mph, you will still be able to ride it, so it's about convenience if you travel in remote locations... will the OP do that?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Guy who works on my mountain bikes has one. He loves it and prefers it to the CdF that he had. Uses it as a commuter/tow path bike and has ridden it on some of the lighter trails.

Has it in the colour linked and it looks pretty good.
  • bmxboy10
    I agree with Ugo and its all of these things combined that's putting me off however I still really like the bike. Also having had a CDF and not liking it I don't want to repeat the same mistake. Specialized did do a Pro Frame/Fork only version with finishing kit which was stainless I think but they are all sold out which is a shame. The Elite is a nicer spec but mint green and sparling decals! Really!
    I think I may need to rethink as the Diverge or something else may be the better option.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    I agree with Ugo and its all of these things combined that's putting me off however I still really like the bike. Also having had a CDF and not liking it I don't want to repeat the same mistake. Specialized did do a Pro Frame/Fork only version with finishing kit which was stainless I think but they are all sold out which is a shame. The Elite is a nicer spec but mint green and sparling decals! Really!
    I think I may need to rethink as the Diverge or something else may be the better option.

Steel is nice if it is nice steel tubing... my 853 Fugio is a very nice frame.... CrMo tubing is not a million miles from gas pipe... the ride is dull... if you also have a steel disc fork, that makes it even harsh
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Seen the Willier Jaroon?

Nice looking gravel/adventure bike too.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • bmxboy10
    Now im confused. Been to the LBS and seen a Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon with a grand off at £1500 :) Its bloody lovely and would almost certainly make my Tarmac redundant.

Need to cool off :wink:

Just been out in the snow in my rear wheel drive BMW. Convincing myself I need an adventure bike is like saying a need another car - a Landrover - and thants not gonna happen either :lol:
  • Hi, sorry for slow reply.
    Yes, it is heavy, certainly when you lift it up, but it doesn't feel that way when you ride it.
    The fork is steel on my model, but I didn't want to spend over a grand which ruled out the carbon forked 105 model. Actually the cable brakes are very good and are dual pivot which I think means that the pads grab the disc rom both sides rather than one side pushing the disc into the other. I wanted cable disc because I can't change pads on my hydraulic brakes on my stumpjumper cos I don't have the knowlege or tools to bleed brakes.
    Genesis cdf was my choice until this came out but glad I waited as I am brand loyal having had many specialized before, plus prefer the wider wheels and tyres, body geometry saddle, unique bars and think through axles are the future.
    Did an urban ride of about 25 miles all on the road on Tuesday, and only a few minutes slower than the Tarmac, and happy to lean a bit further or brake a bit later on wet roads.
    I like it.
  • Didn't read your last post.
    l did also consider a diverge .. obviously I suppose, but my thoughts were that there would be too many times when it didn't really make much difference which I used. Also really think the sequoia will make me appreciate the Tarmac more, whereas thediverge would make me wonder if I needed both.
    Of course, most reading this may not be lucky enough to have more than one bike, in which case the Diverge could well be the better choice.
  • bmxboy10
    Anyone heard of the Niner RLT 9 steel 853?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    solboy10 wrote:
    Anyone heard of the Niner RLT 9 steel 853?

Article here about the new carbon version
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/215436 ... ravel-bike