is my gear hanger bent?

Jonesinamilion
Jonesinamilion Posts: 230
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Think I know the answer but I've never paid it much attention before.

Is it fixable? Is it ridable?

WP_20170108_19_04_25_Pro.jpg

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    from that angle it does look it, take it off and lay it on the table its easier to see that way, i cant tell if that frame is carbon or metal but it could also be the dropout which in most cases are metal and can also get bent.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Something's bent or loose.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thqnks all!

Frame is metal (brain rafal 740 with sram x9)... What's the diff between a dropout and hanger?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dropout is what the axle goes in, hanger is what attaches the mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I haven't really got anything to lose by trying to straighten it by hand whilst attached have I?...

failing that have it off and get a hammer / vice to it?

if it all goes tits up I'll have to pay a man to do it; which I looks like I'm hoping to have to as it stands anyway!

wish me luck and any words of advice?
  • Looks better than it did! Thanks

WP_20170108_21_08_20_Pro.jpg
  • Worth maybe buying a new hanger as they are so cheap and keeping this one as a spare
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Does indeed good job but I'd still take it off and check on the table, 30 mins tops to take off check straighten if needed and fit back on
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • the bike has just come out of hibernation (pussy, I know!).

thanks to the advice on here I rectified the hanger; however it wouldn't go onto lowest / biggest gear.

thanks to the below vid, ive just learned a new skill and it works a treat, quite proud of myself!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rea ... ORM=VDMCNL
  • The next time you take your bike in for maintenance, ask the shop to straighten your hanger. Usually, when the hanger gets bent, it's bent in several different directions. Extreme cases like this, you can hand-fix the worst of it, but in order to get perfect shifting again, you'll need to straighten the hanger out using a special tool.
  • The next time you take your bike in for maintenance, ask the shop to straighten your hanger. Usually, when the hanger gets bent, it's bent in several different directions. Extreme cases like this, you can hand-fix the worst of it, but in order to get perfect shifting again, you'll need to straighten the hanger out using a special tool.

hammer_scalable.gif

?

:D

Thanks for the heads up; changes sooth on the stand but proof will be in the ride.
  • :) Nah, more like this

DAG-2.jpg

It's a really nice tool but considering how little use it typically gets, it's too expensive to buy just for yourself unless you're building your own shop big style.
    Now bent hanger will typically make some specific gears misbehave but even if it shifts fine, ask them to check it out. Typically costs less than wheel truing (which is dirt cheap pretty much anywhere).