Rear light that doesn't die in the wet?

rnath
rnath Posts: 176
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I don't seem to be having much luck with rear lights this winter having already had a Bontrager Flare R and Cateye Rapid fail on me from new (both after long wet rides). Can anyone recommend something a bit more robust? Rechargeable would be good, but as I suspect water is getting in through the USB charging port, maybe a regular battery model is better?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Knog Blinder.
  • ^ This, been faultless for me so far this winter
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    never had any light die in the wet. i use cateye lights and leyzene lights. You have a duff light rather than the brand.

The volt 50 rear from cateye and the leyzene microdrive and two very good lights.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Lezyne KTV can be had pretty dirt cheap and have survived well for me.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Use mudguards. I found this problem went away then.

Pete
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2017
    Exposure TraceR here with no issues - another mudguard user also :)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Deffo mudguards and then its not an issue. Any light would work then.
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Some Lezyne lights have a usb connector rather than a port, so water ingress MAY be less of an issue.
  • My rear (and front) Lezyne Microdrive's have been thru several winters and not failed once.
  • rnath
    Thanks all - have fitted some mudguards and invested in a family size tub of vaseline so hopefully that'll sort things ;-)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    rnath wrote:
    invested in a family size tub of vaseline so hopefully that'll sort things ;-)
    :oops: :oops:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    TimothyW wrote:
    Lezyne KTV can be had pretty dirt cheap and have survived well for me.
    And just to clarify, I don't use mudguards.... :P
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Best bit of kit I've probably ever purchased for my bike:

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Exposu ... lsrc=aw.ds

Last all week off one charge no probs. Super bright and smaller enough for your pocket.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited January 2017
    My Moonshield 60 is now 5 years old and is commuted on nearly daily for about 5 months of the year and regularly gets a soaking, would guestimate its done about 2000-2500 miles of use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My cateye rear light is still going strong after 9 or 10 years. Trying to work out how long, but I definitely had it before I had my bike before this one. Can't recommend the exact model, because it obviously isn't made any more. (And no mudguards.)
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Ha ! My Moon Shield died when water entered the usb port when used without mudguards
  • Ironically I've just posted in another thread that I have a Cateye Rapid X2 and my colleague has a Flare R. I cover 8000+ miles per year, he does closer to 13000, and neither of us have had a single problem. Mine's on its 3rd winter now.

I'd suggest you've just been unlucky.
  • rnath
    JCroxton wrote:
    Ironically I've just posted in another thread that I have a Cateye Rapid X2 and my colleague has a Flare R. I cover 8000+ miles per year, he does closer to 13000, and neither of us have had a single problem. Mine's on its 3rd winter now.

Yep, saw that - made me laugh! Although I suspect my lack of mudguards had a lot to do with it. Have now fitted some and smeared vaseline on new light so fingers crossed...
  • £20 moon has been faultless after replacing a £50 exposure that went mental in the wet.
    Thinking about it, my Exposure maxx-d conked out in the wet and was never the same again.
    Thinking about it, my support battery pack for my exposure equinox has fallen apart too.
    Moon then.
    And although I haven't .. yet .. I definitely agree that fitting mudguards would make the biggest difference.