Miche Primato vs Ultegra Hubs

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Are the Primato hubs similar quality to the Ultegara hubs? Want Ultegra but not sure I want a 32/32 wheelset. I don't see Dura Ace as being worth the extra dosh just to get a 24/28 wheelset - been there got the t shirt!

Any advise welcome :D

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    solboy10 wrote:
    Are the Primato hubs similar quality to the Ultegara hubs? Want Ultegra but not sure I want a 32/32 wheelset. I don't see Dura Ace as being worth the extra dosh just to get a 24/28 wheelset - been there got the t shirt!

Any advice welcome :D
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Are the Primato hubs similar quality to the Ultegra hubs? Want Ultegra but not sure I want a 32/32 wheelset. I don't see Dura Ace as being worth the extra dosh just to get a 24/28 wheelset - been there got the t shirt!

Any advice welcome :D

:D
  • Ultegra freehub won't get chewed by the cassette, Miche will

If you pit the Ultegra bearings, you face a big bill, Miche use sealed bearings, which are quite cheap

Other than that, they will serve you in pretty much the same way
    left the forum March 2023
  • beanstalk
    beanstalk Posts: 143
    You can also consider hub geometry, meaning the flange distances.
    My guess is that Ultegra rear hubs are less worse than Miche rear hubs in this respect.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    From a rider persespective the Miche hubs are very reliable in winter conditions and very little maintenance is required. The Miche hubs are a lot cheaper than the ultegra hubs so this may well be a consideration. If you go onto Malcolm's website - Cycleclinic - you will find that he is a big fan of the Miche hubs.
  • I've used both with no issues. Miche hubs come with different hole counts whereas Shimano Ultegra are only available in 32.
    The two sets of wheels built with Miche 28 hole front and rear (Archetype and DT Swiss R460) are still going strong and built into a nice set of wheels. No bother wit Ultegra hubs either but Miche allow for more choice on drillings.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    ultegra and miche hubs have very similar geometry not enough of a difference to get excited about. ultegra hubs are heavier than miche hubs come in 32H and 36H drilling only, cost more and must be serviced preventatively in order to get big miles or bearing cups wear. They are good hubs in that they work reliably but so miche hubs and since a miche freehub is cheap I would not worry about it being alloy. Also how come I never seem to see them chewed up when I get wheels back for rebuild (worn rims crash damage e,t.c). I dont think it is a big worry.

So like many things it comes down to do you pay extra for the well know name or less for something just as good but less well known.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Ackie
    Ackie Posts: 22
    No experience with Miche hubs but Ive had two sets of Ultegra hubs. 6700 and 6800.
    The 6800s with Archetypes are lovely. The hubs are very smooth and almost silent freewheeling.

I'm going to get the 6700s built up again with DTSwiss R460s although have been abused are still running well.

Was tempted by Miche but Shimano hubs are just so solid.
    When my mates high end carbon wheels pop a spoke I always like to remind them they should have got some Ultegra hubs with, DTSwiss comp spokes and Archetypes ;-)