1x Drivetrain Alloy Gravel bike able to fit a front rack

dezi
dezi Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi,

i'm (~1.84m with ~87cm inseam) looking for an alloy Gravelbike able to fit a front rack (f.e. Tubus Tara) to the fork. So far i've tested a lot of different bikes but all alloy bikes seemed to lack this option: Norco Search A 105, Focus Paralane AL 105 & Apex, Bulls Grinder 105, Bianchi Allroad. Most are limited to 35 at most (dunno if this is still true with mudguards).

I also rode a Marin Four Corners Elite (awesome bike, would prefer it to be a little lighter) and a Genesis Croix de Fer (a LBS said he can build one up for under 2.000€) but both are steel and i'm afraid they might be a bit to heavy even when i strip them of their mudguards and racks trying to go gravel "racing". Lately i stumbled upon the RLT9 but it's a little to pricey.

What's my plan with this bike?
-commuting (attached light in winter - none in summer season)
-gravel / cross rides (solo and in groups)
-light touring (weekend)
-touring (~1 week self supported)
-supported journeys (like the last two weeks in norway without having to carry baggage myself)
-in the near future: attach a child seat to the back while still being able to carry load up front

Without this last point i guess even a bike without the option to fit a front rack might be sufficient.

Anyone knows if the Kona Rove AL can fit a front rack? Is the frameset sold separately? Can he Londong Road (Planet-X) only fit a mudguard up front?

Planing on going 1x with this bike (looks so clean). Want to use a 10-42 cassette (even if 11-42 is cheaper) to maintain a little more top speed if needed. Planing on using a 38, 40 or 42 cog (not sure yet). Which 1x42-11/10 you know that at least fit a rear rack (f.e. the Votec doesn't). Recently heard about Poison-Bikes. I can get a alloy frame and fork (with rack mounts) there but's it expensive :/

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    That is a lot of requirements for one bike. You'd be much better off buying a touring bike and a separate cyclocross racing/gravel bike when you need one.
  • You mention "racing" but don't list it in your plans for the bike? If you just mean fast riding then the Croix will be fine for it.

Do you really need a front rack? It adds weight where you least want it for off-road riding. Frame bags, saddle bags and panniers etc. are a much better idea I would have thought.
  • dezi
    dezi Posts: 3
    You mention "racing" but don't list it in your plans for the bike? If you just mean fast riding then the Croix will be fine for it.

Do you really need a front rack? It adds weight where you least want it for off-road riding. Frame bags, saddle bags and panniers etc. are a much better idea I would have thought.
    Don't want to have this one attached all the time but have the option to carry most of the load when going biketraveling with my girlfriend.

Might go with the Croix de Fer and 1x (42-10 cassette). Not sure about the front cog size yet (really liking 40T).
  • dezi wrote:
    You mention "racing" but don't list it in your plans for the bike? If you just mean fast riding then the Croix will be fine for it.

Don't want to have this one attached all the time but have the option to carry most of the load when going biketraveling with my girlfriend.

Might go with the Croix de Fer and 1x (42-10 cassette). Not sure about the front cog size yet (really liking 40T).

I get that but adding weight to the front of a bike is last resort stuff in my eyes. Have a look at these options:

https://www.alpkit.com/bike-luggage

https://www.apidura.com/shop/

You can carry a huge amount of stuff in a frame bag, large saddle bag and, if needed, a handlebar bag. You could even use panniers as well.