How do you know it's a cyclist???

JamesVaughan007
JamesVaughan007 Posts: 16
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
What part of a cyclist is easily seen and depicted as a rider to a driver or anyone else on the road?

Comments

• LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    The bike :lol:
  • If a light was added to any part of the biker to increase a driver's awareness of them, where would it go?

I'm trying to create a solution to this problem so any answer would be very helpful. Thank You
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Erm. A bike.
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I'm not sure outside the existing locations - front rear of bike/helmet - there are any better locations. Maybe if a law was made that a different colour extra light was worn to depict it was a bike it would make drivers more aware it was a bike but then you'd go down the route of having different lights for different modes of transport.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    If a light was added to any part of the biker to increase a driver's awareness of them, where would it go?

for on coming traffic, you want a white light facing forwards so on the riders helmet (head) or knuckles or toes.

For rear approaching traffic, somewhere that isn't going to be blocked my anything so ankles, arse, rucksack, helmet (head)

for side on traffic feet facing sideways

I think your best option is a pack of 120 superbright xmas tree LEDs wrapped around the body for 360deg protection
  • If a light was added to any part of the biker to increase a driver's awareness of them, where would it go?

It depends where the driver is in relation to the cyclist.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    If a light was added to any part of the biker to increase a driver's awareness of them, where would it go?

I'm trying to create a solution to this problem so any answer would be very helpful. Thank You
    Create a solution to what problem?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    LukeTC wrote:
    The bike :lol:

Best answer yet. Not often that a thread can be closed after just the one reply!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I dont think you need to create this. If you're behind a cyclist in the dark then anything reflecting on their lower leg or foot or pedal reflector tells you.

If you're going to do a rear light - how about one to make a cyclist look wider than they are so a car passes wider ?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    When driving - how do I know it's a cyclist in front of me?

I don't - until I see them - then it doesn't matter if it's a cyclist, fast walker, slow moped or anything else for that matter - it's just a case of not hitting them ...

But if you want to know what I do - I have a rear light on pretty much all the time - and thats on flash mode - a red flashing light is pretty sure to be a cyclist...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Why do you distinctly want to look like a cyclist. if you look like a road user - ie standard red lights, then you should get the same respect as other road users. There are certain drivers out there who I do not want seeing me a "just a cyclist" from the moment they see my rear light in the distance. Good levels of visisibility are important, and if you search around the forum (especially Commuters) there are lots of threads on this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What part of a cyclist is easily seen and depicted as a rider to a driver or anyone else on the road?

My massive tree trunk like thighs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    The answer that you are looking for is probably shoes or ankles spinning round.
    Very distinct to motorised transport or pedestrians.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • "Don't worry, they'll tell you!"

Sorry, wrong joke.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    mrfpb wrote:
    Why do you distinctly want to look like a cyclist. if you look like a road user - ie standard red lights, then you should get the same respect as other road users. There are certain drivers out there who I do not want seeing me a "just a cyclist" from the moment they see my rear light in the distance. Good levels of visisibility are important, and if you search around the forum (especially Commuters) there are lots of threads on this.

Because, on the roads I commute on I'm travelling significantly less quickly than the rest of the traffic - whilst that doesn't matter for the odd tractor and trailer - who wouldn't notice the car rear ending them - it does matter for me.
    Being identified as a cycle should trigger that they're going to close the gap far quicker than they would with any other vehicle - so need to react accordingly.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    PBlakeney wrote:
    The answer that you are looking for is probably shoes or ankles spinning round.
    Very distinct to motorised transport or pedestrians.

I'd agree with this one. Some bike lights are so bright now that they could be from a motorbike, or one side of a car. Runners, even dog walkers, often have white front and red back lights, but nothing else on the road has pedals and spinning feet. Reflectors on spokes are a bike give away too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    If a driver can't recognise it's a cyclist they shouldn't be driving.

The driver should treat the cyclist the same as any other road user, in accordance with the highway code. Therefore it doesn't matter if they think you are a cyclist or a motorbike etc, they still have the same laws to follow.
  • redvision wrote:

So from 100 yards in the dark, you can tell a cyclist from a motorcyclist? Or two cyclists side by side from a car?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    redvision wrote:

So from 100 yards in the dark, you can tell a cyclist from a motorcyclist? Or two cyclists side by side from a car?

What difference does it make??
    If they see anything ahead in the road they should be prepared to slow down.
  • pblakeney
    redvision wrote:

How would they avoid a parked car with lights on?
    While we are at it, how do they see parked cars without lights? SMIDSY is no excuse.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492

From far when you can't see anything but flashing lights then I know a cyclist is coming up.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:

While we are at it, how do they see parked cars without lights? SMIDSY is no excuse.

So what is your point? That they should recognise a cyclist, or that they shouldn't need to? I need to know whether I should be driving/cycling after dark.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:

So what is your point? That they should recognise a cyclist, or that they shouldn't need to? I need to know whether I should be driving/cycling after dark.
    They should be able to see anything that needs to be avoided using daylight and/or lights as required before getting behind a wheel. Ninjas apart. They are asking for it. Cyclists should use lights and reflectors in dim lighting or low sunlight.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    OP you sum up yourself as being part of the problem in this car obsessed mastubatory country ...
    On the road it doesnt matter that I am on a bike , I AM A ROAD USER
    avoid killing me please
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:

They should be able to see anything that needs to be avoided using daylight and/or lights as required before getting behind a wheel. Ninjas apart. They are asking for it. Cyclists should use lights and reflectors in dim lighting or low sunlight.

Controversial anti blind driver attitude.
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Controversial anti blind driver attitude.
    I've seen a lot of drivers who would appear to be blind. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Someone please delete this pointless thread FFS.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You could have every rider dressed from head to toe in high vis and with flashing lights in all directions but the majority of accidents are caused by distracted drivers not unsighted. By which I mean they are not concentrating on where they should be looking instead of the riders being hard to see in the first place. Solve that issue and you'll be a millionaire