Buying road shoes – shop recommendation north west

anorak_boy
anorak_boy Posts: 10
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I've been road cycling for a few years and in that time I've gradually upgraded nearly all my bikes/kit/equipment. The exception to this is my shoes – been wearing a pair of Shimano R087 for four years now and they're overdue for replacement/upgrade. They were bought online (and TBH are slightly too big for me). Left to my own devices I'd probably go for Sidis this time as they seem to be the benchmark 'best shoes' among riders I see/speak to.

However - I'd really like to get this decision right and my sensible head says I should try on different shoes/brands and make a decision based on what feels right. For that reason I would prefer to buy from a bricks and mortar store where I can try a few different shoes. (I've been told I have wide feet and Sidis might not be ideal for me.) I'd be prepared to pay £150-200 for the right pair.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the Manchester/north west area that has a good selection of shoes that would allow me to try different models/brands? The odd times I've been to Evans I haven't been that impressed with number of shoes on display.

Not essential but a nice to have would be fitting advice from the shop staff and maybe even help replicating my current cleat position.

Cheers,

Jon

Comments

• I know you may have already discounted them but the Evans store at Chill Factor had a decent selection when I went. Tried on a pair but the wrong colour and the right colour arrived in 24hrs.

Another option is Leisure Lakes in Bury, but I haven't been there in a while.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    May be best to call ahead see what places have prior to arriving, or in the case of Evans ordering in and trying on then refunding if disliked.

Central Manc may be your best bet for choice of stores, Cycle Fit (heard good things never been) and Cycle Republic both in Northern Q and then an Evans in Deansgate.

Chester Bike Factory may have a good selection and beside that is a Specialized concept store, then Evans then Edge Cycles with another Bike shop (Cheshire Oak Cycles) just off the m56/m53 @ Cheshire Oaks

Winstanley Bikes in Wigan (mostly online) used to have a large selection of kit but it is a warehouse affair with a small shop frontage. been several years since I've gone in though
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • If you're in the market for Bont shoes - there are some excellent very stiff carbon jobbies at cyclehouse in Warrington - very helpful too - I didn't buy them in the end but only because I wanted to buy tri shoes too, and couldn't afford both.
  • Thanks everyone. I was probably a little unfair on Evans, I had no more than a cursory look at shoes when I was last in there so I plan to go back and have a proper look. Failing that, Manchester city centre is a good shout. I also work in Warrington and wasn't aware of Cyclehouse so will bear that in mind in future.
    Cheers,
    Jon
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Shimano R171. Perfect value for money shoe. Great sale on now on them so great buy. Personally I think best shoe for the money now if you can find them for £76