Wiggle sent me a second hand powermeter!

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 680
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this whilst I await the official reply from Wiggle.

Bought some Powertap P1 pedals this week, not exactly a small purchase coming in at £900+.

Arrived this morning, and the nice shiny black box they come in was beaten up, scuffed and dirty. Opened it up and the pedals have clearly been used and sent back (at best). The metal plates are scuffed, presumably from being clipped in and out of, and there’s a load of little dents and nicks in the aluminium body.

Pretty peeved at spending so much money and being sent such a shoddy excuse for a new product.

They look genuinely second hand and I’d expect they would be worth £700 max on eBay, am I likely to get anything like this level of discount from them?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Send them back and ask for new stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As above
    Return them and raise a complaint
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Get on the phone, better to speak to someone in person than do it by email, you might even get a bit of discount on your next order as a good will gesture that way too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As others have said, send them back.

As a user of the P1s i would stronger advise you to ask for a refund and pick another PM.
    The P1s are great but the build quality, especially the bearings, is shocking. When play starts in the pedals somehow it causes problems with the power readings and ultimately the pedals have to be returned for repair/replacement.
    I have recently received my 5th replacement set in under 15months and if you search you can find lots of others with exactly the same experience.
  • cgfw201
    redvision wrote:

As a user of the P1s i would stronger advise you to ask for a refund and pick another PM.
    The P1s are great but the build quality, especially the bearings, is shocking. When play starts in the pedals somehow it causes problems with the power readings and ultimately the pedals have to be returned for repair/replacement.
    I have recently received my 5th replacement set in under 15months and if you search you can find lots of others with exactly the same experience.

Had seen this. have seen a lot more who are happy customers, and they are well reviewed.

If Wiggle give me £200 off these I'll stick with them, otherwise will get a replacement pair.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Had seen this. have seen a lot more who are happy customers, and they are well reviewed.

If Wiggle give me £200 off these I'll stick with them, otherwise will get a replacement pair.

Scrap that. Just had another look at them and the bearing in the right hand pedal is wobbly as a kids tooth before it falls out.

Can't believe they tried to fob me off with these!

Think I'll go down the Quarq route now.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    My Vector pedals have been - pedal wise - 100%. Since the firmware updates have stopped for mine.. also 100% .
    2 years now
  • cgfw201
    JGSI wrote:
    My Vector pedals have been - pedal wise - 100%. Since the firmware updates have stopped for mine.. also 100% .
    2 years now

I need Bluetooth to use with zwift in ios, otherwise would have considered them.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I use a Stages on the commuter/trainer... which sometimes is rollered for Zwift... power data is the same.... inadequate but the same. BTooth tho' as well.
  • cgfw201
    JGSI wrote:
    I use a Stages on the commuter/trainer... which sometimes is rollered for Zwift... power data is the same.... inadequate but the same. BTooth tho' as well.

Dodgy left knee, want access to the l/r balance.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    cgfw201 wrote:
    cgfw201 wrote:
    redvision wrote:

Scrap that. Just had another look at them and the bearing in the right hand pedal is wobbly as a kids tooth before it falls out.

Like i say, when the P1s work they are great, but the build quality is shocking.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I returned some P1s to Wiggle recently and received a full refund....

To echo the above, look for an alternative. Mine were nothing but trouble for the few months I had them..dodgy readings, poor battery life, crap bearings you name it.

Full credit to Wiggle though, full refund the day after I posted them, no fuss.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    As above
    Return them and raise a complaint
    Don't forget to remind them that it's illegal to resell returned goods as new without notifying the buyer. PC World saw some hefty fines for this a few years back...
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    edited January 2017
    cgfw201 wrote:
    cgfw201 wrote:
    redvision wrote:

To be fair, mistakes happen and rather than trying to fob you off with second hand goods, it's more likely the result of a returned pair having been returned to stock in error. Also had the title of your post been "Wiggle sent me a second power meter" ( in error ) would you have resorted straight to publicly shaming before they'd had a chance to rectify their mistake them or just silently put the spare one on ebay. .... ?
    Wiggle are hardly a shady company - Why not give them a chance before plastering their mistake all over the net.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I think anyone who gets a pedal-based power meter is pretty brave. All my pedals are covered in nicks and scratches I'd be very wary of having super expensive ones with electronics inside.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Having said that, Quarq crank and powertap hub are my weapons of choice...(not both on the one bike you understand)
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this whilst I await the official reply from Wiggle.

Bought some Powertap P1 pedals this week, not exactly a small purchase coming in at £900+.

Did you miss the Canyon deal for £600?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    I got some Bont Riot HiViz specials only available from Wiggle, these turned up with cleat holes drilled and filled in the wrong position and massive cracks sealed as well as covered in scuffs.

fcc0177e-833a-58f4-829a-afdd09db59a3

e5d5bd88-25b3-57a4-83cd-f1ff97fd8b99

They have me 10% voucher.. :roll:
  • Just to balance the scales slightly

I bought etap through wiggle and discovered the common problem that one of the limit screws clashes with the crank arm. At first I filed the screw down but then heard a replacement, shorter screw was available. I contacted wiggle and they responded very quickly, contacted sram on my behalf, and got me the replacement screw sent out. I only mention it because I was very impressed with how attentively they handled it with several emails keeping me informed along the way.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    cgfw201 wrote:
    Hi there,

Arrived this morning, and the nice shiny black box they come in was beaten up, scuffed and dirty. Opened it up and the pedals have clearly been used and sent back (at best). The metal plates are scuffed, presumably from being clipped in and out of, and there’s a load of little dents and nicks in the aluminium body.

Pretty peeved at spending so much money and being sent such a shoddy excuse for a new product.

They look genuinely second hand and I’d expect they would be worth £700 max on eBay, am I likely to get anything like this level of discount from them?

Why would you want the in the first place? Just send them back.
    leodis75 wrote:
    I got some Bont Riot HiViz specials only available from Wiggle, these turned up with cleat holes drilled and filled in the wrong position and massive cracks sealed as well as covered in scuffs.

fcc0177e-833a-58f4-829a-afdd09db59a3

e5d5bd88-25b3-57a4-83cd-f1ff97fd8b99

They have me 10% voucher.. :roll:

You realise that Wiggle simply sell stuff that other people make, right? If you're not happy with a purchase just send it back. It's not hard.......
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    What's the point of this thread? Just return the feckin pedals!

Same for the shoes. Why didn't you just send them back?