Most 'bad tempered' road in the UK

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
My nomination is the A34 out of Newcastle under Lyme.. - frantic urban dual carriageway full of desperates wanting to get to the M6 at breakneck speed... why do knobs see 40mph and think yup no speed cameras so I'll do over 60 as .. well it is a motorway aint it?
Newcastle Borough have made absolutely no provision for cyclists.. thank Christ I only ride 1/2 mile of it.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    Is it because everybody that lives along there has dementia?
  • jgsi
    Or trying to escape it.... I knew I was doomed
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    edited January 2017
    Weston Rd in Stafford.

Bad layout, bad drivers, bad attitudes

shitville centrals hub of c#ntishness
  • jgsi
    and you have to put up with Signal 1 to cap it all
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Anywhere that goes through Tooting!
  • jgsi
    The TPF no help?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Anywhere that goes through Tooting!

Tooting isn't bad tempered, it's just a whole new set of rules! Assume that the most insane thing will happen, anticipate it, and you'll be OK! Yesterday, a white van reversed at pace out of Tooting Market into heavy traffic on the high street, I was luckily sufficiently far back to apply the brakes and just observe the chaos rather than be part of it.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    I think it's phenomenon that's more epidemic than endemic. The indifference to cyclists safety and/or bad feeling towards them from motorists appears to be everywhere.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,683
    hopkinb wrote:
    Yesterday, a white van reversed at pace out of Tooting Market into heavy traffic on the high street, I was luckily sufficiently far back to apply the brakes and just observe the chaos rather than be part of it.
    Well it's obvious. If you reverse quickly there is less time in which to have an accident so it must be safer. Didn't think about that did you.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533
    Wherever Anonymousblackfg happens to be riding :P.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Junction at Hammersmith Station (A219/A315). Life tip: NEVER filter between moving vehicles there, regardless of how wide it is.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Priory lane seems to attract more than it's fair share of aggro considering how otherwise quiet it is.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • vpnikolov wrote:
    Junction at Hammersmith Station (A219/A315). Life tip: NEVER filter between moving vehicles there, regardless of how wide it is.

The whole one way system is a bit hairy, but I wouldn't say it was particularly bad tempered. More cars go through the lights after they have gone red there than anywhere else on my commute, and cars change lanes at the first sign of any advantage. I'm convinced everyone is terrified, no matter what sort of vehicle.

Anywhere with an ill thought out bike lane is almost guaranteed to be more bad tempered than if it wasn't there. Hence Priory Lane.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Priory lane seems to attract more than it's fair share of aggro considering how otherwise quiet it is.

My favourite Priory Lane incident was last year when they'd coned off the road and you could only go towards the park due to some roadworks. I was going along the cycle lane when some guy in a golf swerved in front of me, mounted the pavement and drove at speed along the cycle path/pavement to get around the roadworks.

When I suggested that perhaps that wasn't a clever/safe/legal thing to do, he suggested that I was a c(*t and then tried to run me over at the lights.

Genius.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Agree on Priory Lane. I've been flicked the V's off a passing car (by the passenger) once - northbound. Probably because I was not on the cycle lane. Sigh...
  • Most places that aren't Laahndahn are fine ( gets tin hat) ;)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Just beat me to it Blacktemplar
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,604
    The M8. It goes through Glasgow, which is enough to put anyone in a bad mood.
  • The M8. It goes through Glasgow, which is enough to put anyone in a bad mood.

You cycle on the M8? Are you in the Kenyan Commonwealth cycling team?? ;)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain