26" MTB wheels for B'Twin bike

jamlala
jamlala Posts: 284
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. My kids both have B'Twin Rockrider 500's as entry level mountain bikes, but they are pretty heavy. Short of buying new bikes which I can't afford, what budget wheels/tyres would anyone recommend to help ease the weight issue? Also, best tyres in general as those that came with the bike are pretty worn now. Many thanks.

PS Dad has just bought a Cube Attention as well as an alternative to road biking..... :lol:
Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
__@    
_`\<,_   
---- (*)/ (*)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get some decent folding tyres such as a Schwalbe rocket Ron and you'll probably shed nearly a kilo, add in some lighter weight Schwalbe tyres and you'll get past that.

Wheels are not the most cost effective way to lose weight I'd be looking at thinks like the brakes (cable discs are heavy, you could swap to Clarks M2 which are pretty light for about £35), removing unnecessary bits such as the trouser guard. pie dish, reflectors etc first.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.