Extending Battery Life

Blacktemplar
Blacktemplar Posts: 713
edited January 2017 in The cake stop
Looking for some help/advice....

I have a Garmin Vivoactive that I use for cycling, walking & swimming, but I find that on a long ride (over 8-9 hours) the battery dies and I lose GPS tracking.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to extend runtime? I'm tackling the Mallorca 312 in April and want to be able to record the full ride, which at worst will take up to 14 hours (though I'm aiming for sub-12 :mrgreen: )

I don't think it's practical to carry/use a spare battery booster as the watch charging cradle is pretty unwieldy, so I guess it's perhaps things like disabling Bluetooth, or altering GPS checking intervals (don't know if that's even possible).

Cheers
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The usual suspects are all unnecessary radio (BLE, Ant etc) and backlighting
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yeah I think switching all unnecessary apps, Bluetooth etc off is a must, don't run cadence or HRM (I kinda know when my heart is about to burst out of my chest), and I'd read that even a watch face that has a second sweep or counter uses power.

I have considered ditching the watch and using Strava on the phone, but battery life on the iPhone after the latest iOS updates is shockingly bad. I reckon I'd be lucky to get 4-5 hours out of the phone at best when running GPS. I guess a battery extender is another option just for the phone, will see how much a decent one that doesn't weigh as much as a small house brick costs. Trying to minimise how much guff I carry with me, principally for the uphilly bits... and battery extender = less food ;)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Or just borrow someone's longer-lasting Garmin watch...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    would the charging clip be ok if you attached the watch to the handlebars? you could run a battery pack to it then (it it allows that whilst in use?).
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Or just borrow someone's longer-lasting Garmin watch...

This. Fenix 3 will handle it. Or just buy a Fenix 5
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Ride faster.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Perhaps just buy a Garmin 200? They are cheap as chips (as little as £50 brand new) and work pretty well, albeit basic. Battery life is quoted as 14 hours but the warm climate should help you maximise that (as long as you ensure backlighting is off, etc).
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    The battery life on my Edge 520 seems to be vastly superior to my previous Edge 500.

Did a ride of over 5 hours yesterday, following which the battery was still showing as having 83% remaining so I'm sure it would comfortably handle a 14 hour shift.