Marin Pine Mountain

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited January 2017 in Your mountain bikes
Got this before Xmas, It was a bargain as the shop wanted to make room for the 2017 model (which is practically the same).

WP_20170105_11_41_02_Pro_zpsg0zhu7mn.jpg
WP_20170105_11_41_13_Pro%202_zpslgtrxzle.jpg

I was after a fully rigid bike for ages - I did not want to get a frame or hardtail and convert it I wanted something rigid from the factory and there are very few about (I don't like fat bikes). I love the old school steel round tubes I just think they look nicer than fat alloy tubes.

Took it to Cannock Chase and also to the local woods and so far its a blast. I like the directness of the rigid setup. Given my limited MTB skill the lack of suspension is fine also the big tyres work well as primitive suspension and make it super comfy.

I will be putting on some narrower tyres for some riding but keeping the fat rubber for mucky trails etc.

Other than the bottle cage I have chopped the bars down a bit as they were too wide for my liking but I only took off 20mm each side so still around 700cm wide. Not overly happy with the saddle so my trusty Charge Spoon will be going on this weekend:

Spec:

Frame: 17.5" 4130 steel frame and 4130 fork (frame is suspension corrected)
Gearing: 1 x 10sp with 32t chainring and 11-42t sunrace cassette
Shifting: Sram X5 shifter with X7 type 2 rear mech
Brakes: Shimano M445 discs with centre lock rotors (180/160)
Wheels: 27.5" Maddux DD40 40mm rims on Formula sealed hubs
Tyres: Kenda Havoc 2.8 27.5" or 27.5" x 2.25 Schwalbe Rapid Robs
Finishing Kit: Marin in house brand with 60mm stem
Pedals: Shimano SPD

Its not light at around 14kg but to be fair 2kg of that is the 2.8" tyres. I don't care about the weight tho so its not a problem.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    7 metre wide bars, you must be a big fella! Bet they were a challenge through the trees.

Frame looks ace, I'm less convinced by the grey/orange scheme though I have to say!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    The Rookie wrote:
    7 metre wide bars, you must be a big fella! Bet they were a challenge through the trees.

Frame looks ace, I'm less convinced by the grey/orange scheme though I have to say!

Think they used that colour scheme on the 1989/90 model,one of my mates who was a few years older than me had one,I had a Bear Valley which was all black