Tyre changing question

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so on from my last post about getting smaller rubber for my Pine Mountain 27.5+ rigid MTB I have now got my 2.25 Rapid Rob tyres which I plan to use for less aggro trails / fire roads and a probably a day or two a week commuting along the canal tow path which also incorporates about a mile of pebbly single track.

I was initially worried about fitting 2.25" tyres to a 40mm rim but having seen some guys running 2.0 on 80mm rims I am not too worried about that anymore, My main concern now is based on tyre damage due to regularly changing tyres. Whilst I have changed lots of tyres in my life I have never really regularly swapped tyres on a wheelset i.e I have never mounted/dismounted a set of tyres dozens of time in a short time period so I am not sure if this approach is going to lead to any damage.

Can someone offer advice ? For the record I will be switching between Kenda Havok 2.8" wire bead and Rocket Ron 2.25" wire bead probably weekly (i.e the 2.25" during the week then the 2.8" during the weekend).

I know the simplest approach will be another wheelset but funds don't allow at the mo and even if they did I am trying to save space (and money) at the mo.

Thoughts ? Would constantly switching tyres ruin the steel bead or damage the rim - FYI I only use Park Tools plastic levers and even then only to get the tyres off I can usually get the tyres back on without the need for levers.

Ta.

Comments