Di2 battery losing a full charge within a day

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
edited January 2017 in Road general
Never had this before but having not ridden for two weeks over Christmas, I had to ride to work the other day with no Di2 power whatsoever. I charged the battery fully on Tuesday night and it was fine yesterday but this morning, the same thing happened. I know it's been cold but surely this isn't a reason for a battery to go flat within 36 hours? Any idea what may be causing this? The Di2 setup was only replaced about 15 months ago following a crash.

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Seems to me like you have a dead battery!

Can you check it on your computer through 'E-Tube Project'?
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Unfortunately not as I'm on a Mac and it's the old 1st gen type battery.
  • ryan_w-2
    Maybe it's time to treat yourself to the new battery and bluetooth d-fly unit?

That's what I'm doing. £160 but future proof.

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    D-fly is the best way to quickly drain your battery.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • 160 quid for a lithium ion battery? Talk about extortion...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ryan_w-2
    160 quid for a lithium ion battery? Talk about extortion...

No, the battery is £100 and the D-Fly unit is £60.

• ryan_w-2
    Grill wrote:

I beg to differ. Have been running the Gen.1 D-Fly unit for a year and battery has lasted amazingly well. Probably charged it twice in a year.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I went through a period of similar sudden & rapid discharge. After a lot of substitution the cause was identified as a corroded connector. That's on a first gen system too.

When I first had mine fitted the LBS and Shimano suggested that the connectors were ok for repeated disconnecting & reconnecting, but I had two (front mech, Junction B) that flatly refused to lock back into place after I'd stripped & cleaned the bike, and in not doing so made the seal not quite watertight and the electrical connection not reliable. Although it should be ok to take the system apart I became quite wary of it. That said, a first test would be to take off each lead in turn and eyeball each plug under bright light through a lens to see if it shows any signs of pitting or corrosion. If you do find any, replace the lead. Mine went through 18 months of sudden failure, sometimes 50+ miles from home the day after a full charge, and me, LBS, and eventually Madison replaced every component before the corroded lead was identified.
  • Ryan_W wrote:

I'll rephrase then... 100 quid for a lithium ion battery? talking about extortion... :shock:

I read this is a 500 mAh battery... so roughly speaking a quarter of the charge capacity of a modern smartphone battery... that's a pretty impressive price tag indeed...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If it's an external battery, it's £35-£45 - I couldn't see which the OP has.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Shouldn't a 500 mAh battery be roughly the size of a 2 pound coin?
  • meanredspider
    Shouldn't a 500 mAh battery be roughly the size of a 2 pound coin?

Depends what characteristics you want from it but about that size - maybe a bit bigger. An external battery is about that size - then wrapped in a robust case with connectors and weathertight seals.

There will be charge management systems too - in the future external battery, this is in the base. The internal battery has that as part of the battery along with the bus connections.

Don't confuse the literal Lion cells with what constitutes a complete rechargeable battery system. And the regulations on this stuff are getting tougher and tougher in order to keep your home and family safe. Samsung screwed it up twice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I beg to differ. Have been running the Gen.1 D-Fly unit for a year and battery has lasted amazingly well. Probably charged it twice in a year.

Beg as much as you like, it's true.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ryan_w-2
    Grill wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Beg as much as you like, it's true.

No it's not. It may have happened before on a Di2 bike w/D-Fly, but it could also have been down to numerous reasons, maybe like the OP's problem of a naffed battery?...

I am only talking from personal experience. In over two years of using DA Di2 and w/D-Fly, I have had zero issues and am constantly aware of how good and long the battery lasts. I use the hood shifters a lot too, so the unit definitely gets a good workout.

• ryan_w-2
    Ryan_W wrote:

I'll rephrase then... 100 quid for a lithium ion battery? talking about extortion... :shock:

I read this is a 500 mAh battery... so roughly speaking a quarter of the charge capacity of a modern smartphone battery... that's a pretty impressive price tag indeed...

You need to understand that it isn't just a battery, it's the ECU of the Di2 system so to speak, hence the price tag.

• Seems like a lot of hassle to me...

Watched the Pedal ED video about the transcontinental race 2016 yesterday... happy to see nobody had Di2 :-)
  • meanredspider
    ... happy to see nobody had Di2 :-)

Whatever floats your boat :wink:
  • ryan_w-2
    DA9000 on my CAAD12 Disc
    DA9070 on my Cervelo S5

Love them both for different reasons...

• hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    It is very odd. I have two Di2 systems and never seem to run out of battery power. I normally charge it when it is down to half and usually thats 2 weeks of riding or more.

Maybe the battery is faulty.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I had the same problems. Diagnostics came up with a faulty battery. Replaced that and still the same issues. Have now traced it to a dodgy wire. The one from the second junction box to the one under the stem. It was constantly lighting up the charge indicator without being touched and also preventing gear changes randomly. Might be worth checking.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • hsiaolc
    Thats good detective work.

I am just amazed how can the wire go wrong.
  • meanredspider
    Have you replaced that wire yet, noodleman?
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Seems like a lot of hassle to me...

Watched the Pedal ED video about the transcontinental race 2016 yesterday... happy to see nobody had Di2 :-)

Josh Ibbett won it in 2015 using Di2 !
  • Brakeless wrote:

But had to retire in 2016... :roll:
  • meanredspider
    Brakeless wrote:

But had to retire in 2016... :roll:

Nothing to do with Di2, though. He was injured.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    hsiaolc wrote:
    I normally charge it when it is down to half and usually thats 2 weeks of riding or more.
    I think I'd need a sleep long before that!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have the old DFly unit (SM-EWW101) and never had any battery longevity issues with it.

I have the new unit (EW-WU101) and the new internal battery BT-DN110 on order for 120E (battery), list price is 200, and 70 DFly (list 100).

The new battery has more circuitry in it to help control the Bluetooth.

be careful how you charge though - the batteries are sensitive to sub-standard or quirky wall chargers.
  • Cheers all, have charged it again overnight so will see if it happens again this weekend, wasn't sure if it was the sub freezing temperatures that had somehow caused it. If it happens again I'll disconnect the battery overnight, if it's still charged then it will probably be a faulty wire.
  • hsiaolc
    Cheers all, have charged it again overnight so will see if it happens again this weekend, wasn't sure if it was the sub freezing temperatures that had somehow caused it. If it happens again I'll disconnect the battery overnight, if it's still charged then it will probably be a faulty wire.

I doubt it is the sub zero temp. I have been riding lately in sub zero temps and 2 hour ride I had not drop one bar on the battery reading and I charged it last weekend and totaly I've done 2 round trips totaling roughly 4.5 hours. I don't need to charge it for a long time.

I normally charge it because I temper a lot with the shifting adjustments.
  • It's only because it showed a full charge after 24 hours but then drained overnight that I thought it could be a temperature thing.