Single speed rear wheel

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new rear wheel for my Specialized Tricross single speed.

Its used mainly for commuting, over nasty pothole filled roads, and winter club riding

I've been looking at the Halo aero track range, just wondering if there's anything else out there for similar money, worth a look??

Budget around £100

Comments

• I have a PX set on my commuter; IIRC I paid about that for them. Nothing fancy, but sturdy - would likely buy again for the same job.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    wideboy wrote:
    Hi all,

Its used mainly for commuting, over nasty pothole filled roads, and winter club riding

I've been looking at the Halo aero track range, just wondering if there's anything else out there for similar money, worth a look??

Budget around £100

The Aerotrack has a 120mm dropout width - I would have thought the Tricross was 130mm.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    depends on the Tricross I think .... my newly acquired 2008 tricross single speed is running aerorage wheels @ 120mm ..... but I would assume the newer frames with disk compatability would be 130
  • Imposter wrote:
    wideboy wrote:
    Hi all,

Budget around £100

The Aerotrack has a 120mm dropout width - I would have thought the Tricross was 130mm.

The old Tricross SS model was 120mm, guessing it's one of these the OP has.

wideboy, I'd be looking to have something built. BLB are selling off their track hubs cheap, 32H rear track hub built with an open pro or H+Son archetype if you can stretch and double butted spokes will probably come in around budget and be great for that kind of riding. The hub is very similar to one I have on the wheels that came with my LeMond Filmore (second hand '09 bike) and the hubs have been surprisingly good. My fixed wheels are BLB king hubs with Archetype rims and they've been fantastic. Got me round the Rise Above Sportive and pretty much every road around Glasgow/The West Coast.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    fat daddy wrote:
    depends on the Tricross I think .... my newly acquired 2008 tricross single speed is running aerorage wheels @ 120mm ..... but I would assume the newer frames with disk compatability would be 130

I just assumed it was a conversion. In which case, ignore my earlier post...
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    Hi guys yes I have the 08 model tricross single it has the 120mm track ends.